Legal Services
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal Services

Legal Services

Good afternoon Marines,

I leave for bootcamp in a week and just picked my mos last week. My number one slot is legal services. After doing more research everyone is saying I won't get 4421 but a basic admin job. I understand you pick a field and nothing is guaranteed in the marine corps. I want to be a marine first and foremost and everything else falls under that. Doing legal work sounded cool...but being basic admin doesn't at all. Is this true? Would I get a basic admin job? Thank you for your time.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    are you contracted to the 44xx field or the 01xx field??

44xx is Legal Services

01xx is Personnel & Administration(basic admin job as you describe it)

Both jobs though you will find yourself behind a desk processing paperwork. Each will be different types of paperwork in different shops.

LSSS or IPAC awaits your arrival ...

Really, those to jobs are almost interchangeable. The only difference is the type of paperwork you'll be filing like Joe said. They're clumped together so you won't find out which one you have until you get your orders at the end of MCT.

Is admin a good mos? I know every mos is what you make it out to be. Sitting behind a desk doesn't thrill me. I want to be able to tell people what I do in the Marine Corps and be proud of it. I'm more interested in aav and tanks.

If you become a Marine, be proud of that. Our mantra is, The Few, The Proud, The Marines.

I'll be very proud to be a marine. Both of my grandfathers were marines. I was talking about the specific job.

I was an 0151 (admin clerk) and then an 0193 (admin chief). At the battalion headquarters level, we sometimes had the legal clerks working down the hallway.

Yes, they are both desk jobs. Biggest difference between the two is assignment availability. Meaning, admin clerks go anywhere there are Marines (to maintain their service record books, unit diary, etc.). Legal clerks are more restricted as to where they can go and are mostly found at large USMC installations where there are JAG officers (military lawyers), courts, etc.

I was a chief legal clerk for the 1ST MAW and court-reporter, also for the 1st Marine Division and the last few months of enlistment at Quantico VA. Promotions were hard to come by back then(early to mid 60's) but it was a great job. A lot of interesting stories here that I would never have been involved with if not for the job. I don't know about todays job as legal clerk or even if they still have military court-reporters but I would assume they do. I worked with some of the best people I have had the privilege of knowing, even worked for a Lt. Colonel that taught law to the FBI trainees in addition to his duties of being the head legal authority for the Base. Probably not a job for everyone but I enjoyed it for almost 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Harrison View Post
    Is admin a good mos? I know every mos is what you make it out to be. Sitting behind a desk doesn't thrill me. I want to be able to tell people what I do in the Marine Corps and be proud of it. I'm more interested in aav and tanks.
    So you leave for bootcamp in a week, you picked an admin MOS, again YOU LEAVE IN A WEEK….but you don’t want a desk job? Why even pick that MOS than? If you wanted tanks or aav’s why didn’t you pick that? You leave in a week; don’t you think it’s a bit late in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    So you leave for bootcamp in a week, you picked an admin MOS, again YOU LEAVE IN A WEEK….but you don’t want a desk job? Why even pick that MOS than? If you wanted tanks or aav’s why didn’t you pick that? You leave in a week; don’t you think it’s a bit late in the game?
    Well Said.

You can always refuse to ship and hold out for something you want (you have not signed your final contract yet). If, you have the balls to play hardball with your recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You can always refuse to ship and hold out for something you want (you have not signed your final contract yet). If, you have the balls to play hardball with your recruiter.
    I wouldn't advise this. You don't want to anger someone who's there to help you. If you do this you could run the risk of being dropped from the DEP.

I had to pick a different mos last week. I didn't pick this job months ago. I didn't get tanks or aav because they aren't open for the rest of the year. I didn't know anything about this mos and neither did my recruiters. I already talked to my recruiter and we are trying to look for a different mos. It's looking like I'll go with logistics.

Good luck Poolee. I know what you have to pick from is fairly slim right now, so it can be quite difficult.

Thread Information