Legal Services - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legal Services

I had to pick supply or cook. So I went with supply. Not really looking forward to my mos at all. It is what it is and I can't do anything about it.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Harrison View Post
    I had to pick supply or cook. So I went with supply. Not really looking forward to my mos at all. It is what it is and I can't do anything about it.
    I'll be honest, supply isn't something I would pick either but.....you could end up with a really good unit, get the opportunity to cross train and do some special schools(MCMAP and Marksman coach just to name a few) once you have been at the unit for awhile and become an NCO

The problem for me is that I am 23 turning 24 in august. If I was 18 I would wait the full year to get tanks. At this point I'm just ready to be a marine. Maybe 6-8 months from now I'll regret not waiting a year lol. Being a mcmap instructor is actually something that interests me a lot. If you were me would you wait for tanks to open or just go ahead and go to boot?

In your case, a year is a long time. I would lean toward shipping now. Don't know what kind of physical shape you're in, but regardless of the MOS, you will be competing against folks a lot younger than you for promotions (and your physical fitness score is one of the factors involved).

Of your two choices, you made the best decision IMO. Cooks have to have the worst working schedule and most under appreciated job I know. There are a couple things Marines love to ***** about - pay and chow.

Don't know how you feel about swimming. But, teaching swim qualification is another job you can cross train into (working at the pool every day seems like a cool job to me). Also (as long as you're not married), once you pick up Lance Corporal, you can go and guard embassies overseas with the State Department (if you make it through the school).

I'm in pretty good shape, but I can see what you're talking about. I'm not married. How difficult is it to cross train? How likely is a supply Marine going to get the oppurintity to cross train?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    """At this point I'm just ready to be a marine"""

Excellent.....I'll ask a friend of mine, littlegraybook, to come in here and talk about supply.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Harrison View Post
    I'm in pretty good shape, but I can see what you're talking about. I'm not married. How difficult is it to cross train? How likely is a supply Marine going to get the oppurintity to cross train?
    being able to cross train is completely dependent on what type of Marine you become and how good your command is at getting you into school seats. If you are squared away, PME complete, and physically fit I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to get into some extra stuff as long as your SNCO's/O's are doing their jobs by searching them out and offering them up to you.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    A guy I went to boot with was supply with 2/5(infantry battalion). went on deployment with them, got to get his truck licenses in order to drive a security/gun truck on missions and go outside the wire with the grunts.

Obviously with no combat deployments this really isn't gonna be an option for you but you may get tasked with going out on field ops with whatever type of unit you go to(if they do that). My point is like I stated before don't get to caught up in your specific MOS/job because you may get the opportunities to do many different things and then rarely actually work in your supply/S-4 shop.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Poolee Harrison----- Re post 16, listen to what littlegraybook has to say about supply, whether here or in a PM.

Thanks USMC2571 for your referral.

Poolee, I was 3043 Supply Admin and joined roughly around the same age as you are (I was 22 years old). If you did well on your ASVAB, you will most likely be Supply Admin like I was. If you did not so well, you will become a 3051 Warehouseman. Like everyone else has said, being in a good unit is absolutely key to your satisfaction and happiness as a fleet Marine. For the most part, my unit was decent and I had really good SNCOs and Officers... and I worked my butt off for them. I am still very good friends with them even after I EAS'd. Be warned that 3043 is a very heavy desk job. You use a logistics program called Global Combat Support System - Marine Corps (GCSS-MC) to order parts, adjust property records, transfer assets, etc. It is a very detail-oriented job and can very well help you in your future civilian career. I, for one, decided to pursue a Master's in Business Administration after my enlistment. I never though I would be interested in logistics and business until after I got my MOS (I was a design major in college). All in all, I enjoyed my job.

With that being said, some of my peers absolutely hated being a 3043. Like all things in life, your attitude will determine your happiness. The Marine Corps has never been a walk in the park, nor should it ever be. I joined to serve and I did the best I could to enjoy it... and I did enjoy it. I don't regret it for one second.

3051, on the other hand, is a very physical job. You manage a warehouse and drive a forklift. Some Marines prefer doing that over sitting at a desk. There's not much to be said about being a 3051.

In regards to cross training, it all depends on your superiors and your unit. I had some cross training (not much), like getting a humvee and a 7ton license, shooting some 50cal here and there, etc. I wouldn't bet on getting trained on anything really intense like driving a tank or jumping out of a helicopter as a Supply Marine, unless your unit has absolutely no work for you to do (very rare).

Best of luck. I hope you find satisfaction in whichever MOS you end up getting.

A lot of stuff depends on your unit as well as your SNCOIC and NCO's also depending on your dependability and willingness to learn and take charge.

I am an 0261 Geospatial Intel Analyst so for the most part I make maps and analyze terrain we also do geodetic survey, I am a HMMWV driver a 7-Ton driver I drive and motor more than my Motor T section ive been the PLT Sgt of my section a few times for a few months I was the Plt Chief of my section hell in 2 weeks they are sending me to Coxswains course to learn how to drive zodiacs. In my section ive been able to go to some pretty cool places in the US and meet some individuals who i only wish i could be even half as smart as.

I am saying all of that because normally that isnt everyones tour but there are times where when you hit the metal just right sparks fly and goodthings happen.

Thread Information