Reserves to Active Duty
Create Post

Reserves to Active Duty

Hello all,
    I am currently in the DEP going to bootcamp June 1st. I am a reserve 0311 because I wanted to (or my family wanted me to) finish college. I've already been to MEPS and all that jazz and am just waiting to go to bootcamp. While doing some research I came across a problem and couldn't really find an answer that helped on other threads. See, I have always wanted to be on active duty but my recruiter told me that if I went reserves during college I would later be able to switch over to active when I graduate. Is this true? I've heard its hard if not impossible to switch over. And now that I'm already enlisted, I feel as if I'll be stuck as a reservist. (not to thrash on reservists)

Also, would someone explain the active reserve program? My recruiter tried to and I'm still not sure about it.

Another thing, would i have any trouble reenlisting after the 6 year reserve contract runs up but as an active 0311? I realize this is looking very far ahead but I've always pictured myself serving in the Marine Corps for a long time.

Any answers would help tremendously, Thank you all.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Simple answer, No. The reserves and active duty are two completely different entities of the Corps, almost like two different braches. There is no such thing as just "switching" to active duty.

Active Reserves(AR) is a component within the reserves(MARFORRES) that places you on an active duty billet. These billets are typically administration and support type jobs to keep a unit running smoothly.

Yes it would be very hard to re-enlist into active duty as an 0311. By the 6 year time when your obligation is running out you'll probably be a Cpl. or a Sgt...billets in active duty units for those ranks are already taken and/or given to guys that have been there for some time and have some operational experience.

Your recruiter is blowing smoke up your @$$. .....if you want to be active duty then go active duty!! don't become another disgruntled reservist that was promised the world by his recruiter. I see it every drill weekend.

This question gets asked almost daily, look through the pages here and you will find some answers.

I almost wish there was a section on here compiling all the answers to a topic so we could just copy and paste cause all the questions are the same.

Yes it is possible to go AD from reserves is it likely probably not but thats on you to figure out the 5 Ws and how.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Yes it is possible to go AD from reserves is it likely probably not but thats on you to figure out the 5 Ws and how.
    Yes, you're correct but.....I've been through the process. It is improbable, especially now with numbers being cut back in the fleet.

I'm with ya on some of these questions/threads being made. I feel like a broken record writing the same responses to different people day in and day out

Thank you for the response guys, this issue was brought to my attention after I had already sworn in and everything. Is there anything I can do? Since I'm already in the DEP?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bvandalinda2 View Post
    Thank you for the response guys, this issue was brought to my attention after I had already sworn in and everything. Is there anything I can do? Since I'm already in the DEP?
    Being in the DEP doesn't mean anything and neither does that "swear in" you already did. That is done to give you the warm and fuzzies, that's it.

Until the day you actually ship out for the depot and sign your official contract you are not obligated to anything

Thread Information