What's the best path: Enlisted vs. Officer? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Whether you go to OCS or a MCRD.....The exceptional leader is always thinking three steps ahead. Working to master his own environment with the goal of avoiding problems before they arise.

How does he handle himself in unexpected or uncomfortable situations? An effective leader will adapt to new surroundings and situations, doing his best to adjust. Even under stress and pressure!

As a leader, one must listen...a lot! This is a given in recruit training.....but it also is a great tool in the fleet/wing. He must be willing to work to understand the needs and desires of others. A good leader asks many questions at appropriate times.... considers all options, and leads in the right direction.

Excitement is contagious. When a leader is motivated and excited about the cause..the recruits in his platoon squad will be more inclined to follow.I am a believer in self motivation...he must motivate himself daily before he can expect others to stay motivated!

Is he organized with his gear on a daily basis? Does he try to help and insure his fellow recruits are prepared and organized as well?

IS HE CONSISTENT IN HIS DAILY ENDEAVORS? EVERY TRAINING DAY

A leader should work to be the motivator, an initiator. Show the Drill instructors that he has initiative! These are some of the Marine Corps Leadership Traits and Characteristics.

If you're willing to put in the work, which I'm assuming you are, and if you have the opportunity to, go officer. I would highly recommend it. It's a good challenge and is wholly satisfying. Now, I'm not a prior, but I was raised in an enlisted family and they all highly recommended I commission right away instead of enlisting first, which I almost did. I'm glad I stuck with college.

Royal Marine

as an RM from the UK does anyone know of any way i could transfer to the USMC?
    thank you

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RM Redders View Post
    as an RM from the UK does anyone know of any way i could transfer to the USMC?
    thank you
    not gonna happen. And taking up another's thread isn't the proper place to be be asking this

There is two kinds of Marine officers; good ones and bad ones. Prior enlisted experience has no bearing on this in my opinion. Also, labeling Marine officers who arent prior service as "wannabe officers" is disrespectful to say the least. They ALL earn their place in Quantico at OCS, then learn to lead at TBS. I personally think our officers, are the best trained out of any other branch. Regardless of whether they were enlisted or not, they all get the same baseline training.

P.S. The PLC Program is probably the most efficient path to a commission; again, in my opinion.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good post, and accurate.

Thread Information