MOS options - intel? CBRN? Aviation electronics tech?
Create Post

Question MOS options - intel? CBRN? Aviation electronics tech?

Hello. So about me:
    • I am 26. I will be 27 by ship day.
    • I have a bachelor's degree
    • I'm very rusty with math and whatnot because I haven't had any courses in such for 5-6 years, but I still got a decent ASVAB score of 78
    • I became a poolee a few days ago, ship date May 18
    REASONS FOR JOINING:
    A) I've always been interested,
    B) I now have $53,000 in student loans
    C) active duty will defer said loans while I'm in and I will be able to save money whilst serving my country.

The MOS's that most interested me were Military Police and Intelligence. Yesterday I spoke with the boss of our recruiting station who told me what they may have available and what he recommended. He will contact me again on Monday to let me know if they're available. The jobs he listed were:
    1. Aviation Electronics Technician (BA)
    2. Supply (CC)
    3. Intel (DD)
    4. Open Contract
    5. Nuclear Biological and Chemical Option aka CBRN (UJ)
    I researched what I could which you can see on this google drive document: [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing]

My ASVAB line scores are good enough that I can choose any MOS, but I'm torn. I want valuable civilian sector skills from an MOS, but at the same time I want something I could enjoy doing. I have no familiarity with mechanics or electrical work so right off the bat I don't have much of an interest in those things. Basically, intel sounds cool so it interests me the most.

I was wondering if anybody out there has intel experience and knows if I could transfer from that to a civilian (or government) career. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable than I in such matters could steer me toward or away a certain MOS. One fear I have is choosing a certain MOS, then later having it changed to something I hate, or not having a clear idea of what it entails beforehand, and then being stuck with it for 5 years.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I can't help you specifically, maybe others can, and will. I can offer a couple of observations.
    Some jobs appear to us to be boring etc but when we get into those jobs, we often find that we were pleasantly surprised. But we didn't know anything about them, and so were not interested. Hardly anyone is interested in something unknown to them

These various MOSs---make a Pros and Cons list for each---that is a very helpful tool for sorting things out.

Intel is a broad field---way too broad and varied to talk about in any meaningful way.

Good luck to you---pm josephd and munkyvsrobot if they don't see this thread.

Whoever told you your student loans will be deffered while you are in lied to you. They will get defferd for a little bit but not for the entire time you are in, they do it for the period you are in boot camp and they do it when you are deployed thats about it.

Even the SCRA only puts a cap on federal loans and doesnt negate the loans you had.

on a BA contract you will fix wiring on planes but probably either CH53 or Osprey

CC you are a professional box kicker

DD the saying goes Intel Drives ops depending on where you go you could do a lot or you could do a little could be quite rewarding.

Open Contract is needs of the Marine Corps they could make you a cook, infantry, comms, sigint

CBRN the only part of CBRN ive ever dealt with is at the Gas Chamber

Any mos has the same percentage to be great and suck your Marine Corps career is what you make of it if you go in with a ****ty attitude you will have a ****ty enlistment ir really is as simple as that. keep a positive mental attitude and you will go far.

Any and all of these have prety good cross over into the civillian world maybe not directly but they will all instill in you tools you can use later on in life when you get out even if your MOS is not your chosen job when you get out.

A lot of contracts are going to the Five year mark not all but a lot are so you better be sure this is what you want to do. Also for intel you will require a security clearance so hopefully you havent screwed up too bad in your past.

Thank you for the responses so far USMC2571 and MunkyVsRobot.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Whoever told you your student loans will be deffered while you are in lied to you. They will get defferd for a little bit but not for the entire time you are in, they do it for the period you are in boot camp and they do it when you are deployed thats about it.

Even the SCRA only puts a cap on federal loans and doesnt negate the loans you had.
    Well that's disconcerting. You're right, I looked it up: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/defa...n-benefits.pdf - I don't know if the recruiter explicitly said they will be deferred, or maybe he just didn't know. Oh well, I can still make payments, and the interest is frozen at 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    DD the saying goes Intel Drives ops depending on where you go you could do a lot or you could do a little could be quite rewarding.

A lot of contracts are going to the Five year mark not all but a lot are so you better be sure this is what you want to do. Also for intel you will require a security clearance so hopefully you havent screwed up too bad in your past.
    Intel interests me a lot, but I do have tickets and an MIP. I admitted to some marijuana use a long time ago. I tried ADHD meds in college but only for a short time. I've been fired from 2 jobs. I've admitted to pretty much everything else I can think of. Other than that, I am a US citizen without a history of financial trouble and no felonies or anything like that. I hope that's not enough to disqualify me for a security clearance. My worry is, what happens to you if you don't get a security clearance, do they just place you in the ****tiest MOS they can find? I also wonder, since I have quite some time before I ship, if they can begin the background investigation sooner than boot camp.
    This post has a lot of good information: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...-need-to-know!
    as does this one: http://forums.military.com/eve/forum.../6450055803001

If you cant hold a clearance you cant hold the MOS, so you get reclassed by the Marine Corps and go where they need you.

Thread Information