after 7yrs finally asking for insight
Create Post

after 7yrs finally asking for insight

I am here asking Marines for their insight and opinion on my issue i have been dealing with since 2007. I do not bring this up or have not bothered anyone with it, but it has eatin at me to long now. This may not register as serious for most but it does to me. ok so long story short..

In april 2006 i enlisted and went to MCRD sandiego in july 2006 a few months into basic i got stress fractures on my left foot and was sent to MRP. I spent almost 6 months in basic. I declined being discharged from basic and eventually graduated in december 2006 after doing the crucible twice.

I went to SOI in january 2007 and it happens once again..

Month or so into training i re-break the same injurys and was discharged in march of 2007.

my problem i have is more of a personal/mental one.. over the years since my discharge i very rarely bring up the Marines, wear shirts etc.

I know since i graduated got my EGA i am a Marine, but sometimes i dont see it like that. its hard to bring up when i didnt even complete SOI and have "time" in. i have never gone to the VA to claim any form of benefits or even try because i did not earn that right and i in no way shape or form claim to be or even use the word Veteran when talking about myself.

Not letting my injury properly heal cost me my military carerr and re enlisting at this time. im to old for the Marines now(32) I do have papers submitted for the Navy to see about being medically approved.

my question is am i right for thinking this way?

since i was never fully active duty or a fleet Marine do i rate the right to still claim it?

My wife and other former military tell me to go to the VA and file, but again I have no right/reason to.

any insight to this would be helpful. Thanks

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    straight forward answer.....

VA, yes you rate it and you should

Claiming the title "Marine" is a different story....in my opinion. Yes you graduated boot camp but unless you spent time in the fleet or on deployment....kinda a touchy subject

josephd i agree it is touchy that is a main reason i dont talk about it. i know when you graduate you become a Marine just hard to accept the title. atleast i have the fact of knowing i didnt give up and crossed that parade deck.

Yes, you have every right to call yourself a Marine. You received the EGA and that qualifies you as a Marine. You know what you went through and that should be enough for you. If others do not like it, they can take a hike.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I agree with the Gunnery Sergeant.....once you stepped off that grinder and the drill instructor said, "Platoon Dismissed!" you became a Marine. Without further investigation I believe you have to have 120 consecutive days to be eligible for VA benefits. So you made that time..... Hold your head high.....you EARNED the coveted title of United States Marine....now go celebrate your 239th birthday!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Lets go another route....some Marines of the WW eras went to boot camp and never went to school or training....before going to France...Germany...or Japan....All they did was go to boot camp...... an some died as soon as they hit the beach.............are they not Marines...because they didn't complete the tour..but became Eagle..Globe..and Anchor wearing Marines?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    There are only two choices, not three or four.
    1. You are in fact a Marine.
    2. You are not a Marine.

What would you characterize someone who graduated from MCRD?
    A Marine.
    Otherwise it gets kind of absurd. Think about it. You graduated from boot camp, you got the EGA, you earned the title, but because you didn't then go to the Fleet, or MOS school, you are not a Marine?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    And, as Chuck says, what about those who graduated MCRD and were KIA in the South Pacific weeks later? Not enough time in service to have earned the title? That gets really absurd.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    And not only those things, but look at this.
    Suppose you are NOT a Marine when you report to SOI or the Fleet, or MOS school?
    What ARE you, then? How can Marine Corps units have a civilian report to them for duty? By all logic and law and regs you have to already BE a Marine before you go to any unit. Right? You don't magically become a Marine by landing in Kabul. Otherwise, what were you on the flight over there? A civilian?

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Lets go another route....some Marines of the WW eras went to boot camp and never went to school or training....before going to France...Germany...or Japan....All they did was go to boot camp...... an some died as soon as they hit the beach.............are they not Marines...because they didn't complete the tour..but became Eagle..Globe..and Anchor wearing Marines?
    I'll as another caveat to this, there are some that "NEVER" went to boot camp yet were activated from standby reserve units for the Korean war, wounded and or killed... But served...

Yet, still received that title "Marine"...

It's true, just buried in the halls of History...!!!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good point and good info, FO, did not know that....

Credits
    Savings
    You're a Marine ! go to the VA and get what you earned S/F

I thank you all for the insight. It is a sore subject for me and one that has plagued me mentally for a very long time. I am awaiting to see if the Navy approves me for reserve, if not I may try the VA its frustrating that my JFV1-RE3P is "not a disability" but I cant re enlist. Hope you all enjoyed the evening celebrating our birthday!

Thread Information