Does the school where you came from really matter in the marines?
Create Post

Does the school where you came from really matter in the marines?

So, currently im applying to the Naval Academy class of 2019, and ive set in some plan Bs. Over and over i've been told that Naval Academy grads make better leaders than those who graduate from others. Obviously this is BS because a lot of amazing Marine leaders graduated from schools other than the Naval Academy. So i Would like to ask the best source on my Marine Corps question, The Marines and others as well on this forum, Does the school really matter once you're in the marines? Is there an advantage an Academy poses on the marines once commissioned?

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I would say no.....but I am not a commissioned officer. It may matter to officer candidates on whose alma mater was the best. Sort of like the Marines verse all the other branches of service. The rest think they are the best....however we know that not to be true as we are the best......what it really boils down too is friendly rivalry. Going to a college is great for academic purposes....however the real learning will come at OCS....and once commissioned....TBS.....then the fleet or wing. Your college will go on a sweat shirt....decal on your vehicle...or diploma on your love me wall. And when (this is far away) you sit in the "O" club with your cronies watching a game on TV talking junk about whose school is going to kick azz is probably the only other time it will matter or not.....your biggest accomplishment in life will not be throwing your cover in the air after you receive a diploma.....but getting bars pinned on your collar at OCS.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Simple answer, No

I would say Naval Academy graduates go into the fleet more knowledgeable about the military and naval service as a whole simply for the fact that they are brought up around it for 4 years at the academy.

Leadership is something that is key to being a great officer(commissioned or non-commissioned) and that is something that cannot be taught....you either have leadership qualities and capabilities or you don't.

I had an academy grad as my first platoon commander during our work up for Afghanistan and when we first stepped foot in country. He was relieved of command after our first mission outside the wire, I won't go into details. The Lt. we had that stepped in to replace him went to a small all black catholic college in Georgia, best officer I've ever met and worked with.

The best college argument is something you'll have between yourselves as officers....just like enlisted side as the West Coast vs. East Coast argument. At no time should this ever be something you bring up around your enlisted Marines or argue about in front of them(even in a joking/fun manner). You're junior Marines especially(PFCs,LCpls, some Cpls) are very impressionable, if for whatever reason they think you aren't capable of something because of where you went to school, they will take that and run.....all respect goes out the window

a ring knocker is a ring knocker to them it is in this order one of the three Academies then VMI, The Cidatel then all other schools

I've met several Naval Academy graduates, one as recently as last month (Captain - Judge Advocate), and they are no different, nor treated any differently, than other Marine Officers from what I've seen. They can brag about beating Army every year, but that's about it.

The reason why i ask about this is because at a welcome home party, my friends dad, a USNA grad and my friends brother's platoon officer were in a friendly argument over who had the better school. It was probably on who had the better football team, but it kind of got my attention. I began to wonder the advantages i'd have as an academy grad rather than graduating from my plan b, a regular 4 year. do Academy grads get advantages in rank, commands, promotions, and salary rather than 4 year grads?

The way i see it a marine's a marine, no matter where they came from, and they'll be a marine for the rest of their lives, and even after that

Thread Information