Confused mama signing for 17 yr old son
Create Post

Confused mama signing for 17 yr old son

Hello all, my son has wanted nothing more than he has wanted to join the marines. He has scheduled a meeting with the recruiter he met at school to come to the house tomorrow evening. I'm a single mom with no family history of military service so I really have no idea what questions I should go over with this gentleman when he arrives. I have researched and researched to get answers to all the basic questions. I was in hope of some assistance with questions that arent so basic. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Similar Threads:

My mom and dad had to sign for me since I was only 17 at the time too. I eventually served in the Marine Corps for 30 years. If you have concerns, the recruiter will take the time to address each in detail. Your son is showing uncommon courage at his young age, and you should support his decision, even with reluctance. You won't regret it, especially when you see him when he graduates from recruit training. I promise you.

basically, follow your instincts as to what questions you should ask, the recruiter will or should go over just about everything you can imagine when He or She sits down to talk with you, if H or She asks what are you concerns, then like I said follow your instincts as a Mom.. that is about all I can say..
    Good Luck to both of you and please do keep us posted as to how it goes..

Pretty much what's already been said. Write down any questions you may have and remember that the only dumb question is the one not asked. They'll do their best to inform you but can't answer questions not asked. Good luck to your son.

Credits
    Savings
    There's been more than a dozen single mothers
    thru here asking the same question,
    and probibly each time,
    a different group of Marines have tried
    their best to give an over all answer.

IF you have a specific question,,,?
    ASK IF YOU WISH.

OR eyeball thru the forums looking
    for what others have asked before.

That's a poor answer.
    but best we can do with
    the specifics you've given us.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    In every state your son is an adult. He should be asking the questions, since he won't be staying at home forever. He is the one going into the military, ask some questions, write them down first, as others have said, there are no certain set questions to be asked anyway, just whatever you want to know about. But keep in mind that in this helicopter-parent generation, these kids need to break away and go out on their own at some point. Try to visualize his life as HE sees it, and you both will be okay. Recruiters will be happy to answer any and all questions, and even after the recruiter leaves, you can ask here too. Anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    In every state your son is an adult. He should be asking the questions, since he won't be staying at home forever. He is the one going into the military, ask some questions, write them down first, as others have said, there are no certain set questions to be asked anyway, just whatever you want to know about. But keep in mind that in this helicopter-parent generation, these kids need to break away and go out on their own at some point. Try to visualize his life as HE sees it, and you both will be okay. Recruiters will be happy to answer any and all questions, and even after the recruiter leaves, you can ask here too. Anything at all.
    This. He is the one that is enlisting any questions you have will only be putting YOUR mind at ease for a decision HE is making.

What are you gonna do not sign and make him wait till hes 18 that is all you can really do. Make him ask the questions he wants.

When our son signed up he was 17, back in the summer of 2011. My wife and I had to sign his "permission slip". Like your son ours wanted to join the Marines more than anything else. He was also enrolled in the Delayed Entry Program for about 8 months prior to signing the final paperwork. This gave both him and us an opportunity to get to know his recruiter and the recruiting process very well. When it came time for the final paperwork to be filled out we were very comfortable and confident that his choice to become a Marine was an excellent one.

Your original post implies that your son has just met his recruiter and is enlisting this week. Is that correct? As others have pointed out your son should be the one asking the most detailed questions. Try not to get caught up in the minutia of things. He will be in the best of hands once he reaches basic. Our questions were primarily focused on the timeline from when the papers were signed to when he left for boot. Hope this helps. Good luck to your son.

Cheers,

Travis

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbsupfrog.jpeg
Views:	475
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	28047

First, it is a good thing that your son not only wants to serve, but has chosen to be one of the finest.
    Second, let me appologize for some of the abrupt answers above.
    Third, you are right in wanting to know what to ask the recruiter. Recruiters are salesman, under a lot of pressure to enlist recruits, and have been known to do what they have to do to make quota.
    Next, get the most bang for your buck, have your son take the ASVAB and see if he qualifies for any special programs. There are lots of them from computer technician to aircraft crew. Research them carefully and get him what he deserves.
    Keep in mind that THERE ARE NO VERBAL PROMISES. IF your son is interested and qualifies for a specific program, and wants to be guaranteed a shot at that job, he must GET IT IN WRITING ON HIS CONTRACT. If your son does not have a written guarantee ON THE CONTRACT he is an Open Contract and will be placed anywhere the Marine Corps needs him that day.
    Finally, do not be in a hurry to sign the paperwork. The Marine Corps has been around for well over two hundred years and will be here a lot longer. Some recruiters have been known to pressure recruits to sign now or they might not get the chance later. If the youngster qualifies now, they will be welcome later.
    One more thought, remember that there is more than one recruiter. If your gut feeling is that this one is not giving you all of the options, go to the next town and ask another one.
    Good Luck,
    Mac

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Gunner your answer was good....However I see nothing in abrupt answers to this question. The son is seventeen and a minor...so he does need a parental/guardian figure there.....but again it is the sons desire to be a Marine so the son should ask the questions....and the mother should ask questions and ultimately decide to sign or not.....but it is the sons choice and will be his life and career and he should ultimately be responsible...the only question the parent should ask is..."Are you sure this is what you want?" A mothers worries will always be there...but I do agree that sometimes it is time to start to push the child from the nest.....Sometimes an answer without sidestepping is better than beating around the bush and deflecting the question. Good luck to you and your son!

Marine Family Free Member 2 Marine Mom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Confused mama, in late may, I was a shocked mama, 10 days before my daughters graduation I received a text message from my 17 yr old daughter, stating that since I too was her custodial parent she was hoping I would consider signing paperwork for her to join the marines, asap. That she hoped I would support her in this, and if I had questions, she would fix it so I could talk with her recruiter. That she was going when she was 18, anyway, but, she would rather have my support, and it would help her get what she wanted to do if she was able to enlist, asap. First off my daughter hadn't texted or spoken to me with any civility in 5 yrs, so I was shocked, by that,& that she was even thinking about it. Secondly, the marines had already gotten her to communicate, that was a good sign. I wasn't for her going to the service, but, I did, & do understand her reasoning. And, since my oldest is also a marine, I had a coach, to tell me what questions to ask. As was mentioned before, recruiters are sales men, meaning you might not get what you thing you bought. Always ask what his M. O. S. is gonna be. That is his military occupational specality. His (
    JOB), MAKE Sure it's in writing, before he signs his final paperwork. You signing is just to give him permition. Ask how he scored on his aptitude test, can't remember what it's called. I was scared for both my marines. But, it was good for my oldest, and so far, it's been good for Meg. I'm counting on them to open her eye, to the truth of things. I'd always heard that, the marines will take care of them, but, I didn't truly believe it till I went to Megs graduation in Paris Island, S.C. Nov 6,2015. And listening to the lectures we parents got, as to being so careful with our new recruits when they were on their first leave after boot. To not let them drive for a few days, no motorcycles, and to keep them from alcohol & drugs. It was almost as they were pleading for us to get their recruits back to them safe. Knowing the crap, that my daughter would be going to her in her father's home, I was glad to hear the corp, put all parents on notice!!! From there on, I know the Corp will do everything they can to protect our children. After the he'll of boot camp, it will be smooth sailing. 2 Marine mom..

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    The original question was asked over fourteen months ago, I would imagine she probably got her questions answered some time ago.

Thread Information