What are my chances that BUMED will approve my waiver?
Create Post

What are my chances that BUMED will approve my waiver?

First I would like to say that I understand that every situation is different and there is no way you can say for sure that I will get a waiver. My situation is unique so I will try to explain it in detail.
    When my recruiter was asking me the screening questions I told him that I had Asthma as a child. I had grown out of it and I had no symptoms of Asthma, no use of an inhaler, and normal spirometry and peak flow tests after the age of 12. My recruiter said this would be okay so we sent the med docs to MEPS for a med read. The permanently disqualified me because my doctor had mistakenly left the inhaler prescribed to me until about a year ago. They interpreted this as me lying about my Asthma.
    My recruiter advised me to get new spirometry and peak flow tests done and to get a letter from my doctor to send to BUMED. The tests were normal and when I asked my doctor to write the letter and gave me some good news. He said that when I was 9 I came into the office with breathing problems. They gave me an albuterol (inhaler) treatment after which I said I felt better. The doctor did not believe I had Asthma and that I just had a one time incident. I was then prescribed an inhaler as a precaution and it was marked as asthma in my records so they could keep an eye on it.
    In his letter to BUMED my doctor wrote that my records were misleading, he said that I do not have Asthma now and that I never had Asthma at all. It was just a one time incident.
    To me it sounds like I have a good chance but I'm still worried because Asthma waivers are particularly hard to get. Thank you in advance for anyone who was willing to read this and give me some advice.