In need of serious advice.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In need of serious advice.

I'm in need of some advice. All my life I've looked up to marines, and I've always planned to enlist. Ever since I can remember, it's the only thing I've ever truly wanted in life. Here's the problem... I play football, and I have had the opportunity to play in college on a full athletic scholarship. But I know school isn't for me, it's not something I'm interested in. How do I tell my parents that I want to turn down a full scholarship(five years of paid education) in order to enlist and fight for my country? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:

If you're 18 or older go down and enlist, they'll get the message and any argument will be a moot point.

I guess that's my best bet. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

If you pass up your chance to become a Marine, it will haunt you for the rest of your life. Trust me, I dreamed of becoming a Marine from the time I could walk. I joined and got sent home for medical reasons three weeks before graduation.

This happened back in 1997 and it destroyed me.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liamconnor View Post
    If you pass up your chance to become a Marine, it will haunt you for the rest of your life. Trust me, I dreamed of becoming a Marine from the time I could walk. I joined and got sent home for medical reasons three weeks before graduation.

This happened back in 1997 and it destroyed me.
    But you just asked about a Felony Waiver in your other thread just now 17 years later ???

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    But you just asked about a Felony Waiver in your other thread just now 17 years later ???
    I thought that was the same avatar in that thread....which I just commented in.

Now I'm baffled as to why I even tried to help.
    Maybe I'm missing something.

Time for some zzzzzzzz'z....

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Amazing, but not surprising.

Yeah, as a desperate stab in the dark. I tried to get back in a few times over the years, the first couple of times I was told im not allowed as I got married to a woman who had 3 kids. (apparently that many dependents are a problem).

I came across some money and took several courses at the US Training Center in NC and traveled the world for a bit doing mostly static security jobs and other similar types of contracts. Came home, did some state side security work, hit a bad spot (lost my mom to cancer, dad to drug overdose) and hit some bad economic times. I let the stress get the better of me and turned to drugs to cope, made some bad decisions and picked up a felony charge.

Got my act together and things have been good for a while. Reviewing my options and figured it couldn't hurt to ask about the waiver.

I appreciate your time. Thank you for responding.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Best of luck and health to you. Sorry for your losses.

Thanks bud. Not fishing for sympathy, just clarifying my motives a bit.

Liamconnor - you certainly know how to show a great deal of respect to bud there. Times have certainly changed.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    No wonder he got thrown out of Boot Camp and is now a convicted felon...

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Whats amazing is that liamconnor had another topic abuot if he could get a felony waiver but on that thread never said he had already been in and was sent home for medical reasons. I guessed were supposed to fit in pieces of puzzle that aint there

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    No wonder he got thrown out of Boot Camp and is now a convicted felon...
    Huh....guess I'm losing it or forgot how to read.
    I never saw a reference to him being in boot and then axed for med reasons.
    I failed the 'fit in pieces of puzzle' test.

Oh well....mas cafe para mi.

Carry on Green MoFo's....

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    He joined and got sent home for medical reasons 3 weeks before graduating boot camp.

Thread Information