Tattoo Question?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member CSRT19's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Question Tattoo Question?

Afternoon Marines!
    I have a question for anyone that might have a little bit of insight.
    I know, Rocky C, you have a tattoo background, so maybe you can help?

I have a small tattoo (1/4" x 2") along the inside of my right ring finger. It is in white in, basically skin color, and barely noticeable.

Now, I know that any tattoo in this location is automatically disqualifying. And, common sense says to just have the darn thing removed.

However, that being said, I have been talking to my recruiter about it, and he says that I can go one of 2 routes.
    1). "Out of Sight, Out of Mind". Go through the motions and kick ass and just hope no one notices it. He thinks that the only time someone might notice it would be during rifle quals, my DI is right up staring at my hands intently.

or

2). Get it removed, because a Scar is more easily gotten away with than a tattoo. The only problem with this is that the tattoo is in white ink. Laser is an automatic no-go because the laser would only turn the ink black, not remove it.

I have decided that if it really will be a factor, then I will take to the Salt & Acid and basically rip/burn it out of my skin. I don't care about pain, and I know it will leave a scar.

My point is, what do you think my chances are of getting away with no one noticing it? Or, should I take my chances with the salt and acid?

Thank you, ahead of time!

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    I apologize for triple posting, I just realized I did not have the common sense to post pictures initially. IMAG3044.jpg

Honor. Courage. Commitment.
    If you plan to start your Marine Corps career with a lie, you are off on the wrong foot. Honesty is the best policy, young lady. Get it removed and come right or don't come to the Corps at all.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, Sir. I understand lying is never a good idea when it comes to anything involving the Marine Corps.
    However, it was not my idea to "fly under the radar" with it; it was my recruiter's.

Which is why I am seeking the advice of others.

I've had many good friends in the Corps who went on to Recruiting Duty and came back one rank lower than they started. The number one reason was for dishonesty: Either telling their poolees/recruits to lie, or lying about their numbers/cooking the books.

If you're ready to make a dedication to the Corps, find a way to get enough money to remove the tattoo. Unless you're a homosexual left-handed black female who wants to be an officer that flies helicopters, the Marine Corps isn't in the waiver game so the odds of you getting a waiver are about the same as the odds of me getting elected president in the next 6 months.

I know nothing about tattoo removal and to be honest, I'm too lazy to research it but see if there are alternate means to have it removed if you can't afford it.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, Sir.
    I have looked into tattoo removal extensively, including going to a dermatologist.

Because Laser removal will turn the now-white ink to black, my only options it seems are acid and salt.
    I already started the acid this morning, but I'm too impatient to wait for it to make my skin peel. So, I will most likely try scrubbing the skin off with salt tonight after I am done with PT.

Thank you for your response!

Well I wish you peace and many blessings and for success in your future Marine Corps Career. If I may derail the thread for a brief moment, have you decided on your MOS of choice and/or career field option?

Credits
    Savings
    Derail away!
    I have yet to take the ASVAB, only the practice; on which, I got a 95.
    My absolute first choice would be to be a part of FET. Anything combat support (maybe even combat one day) related is what I am looking for.
    Because there are so many different MOS's, I decided to wait until after taking the full ASVAB to really dig deep.

Credits
    Savings
    While you worry about your tattoo, study up
    on testing for the real ASVAB..

Practice, practice,practice...
    take every practice test you can / about anything/everything.

to practice testing / improves your testing ability...

see a Libraian for practice materials

I recruited LONG ago, but I think if I were you, I'd not make an issue of it. Go to MEPS and let THEM determine whether or not your tattoo is a disqualifier.
    Good Luck

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, Sir, m14ed. I have already bought 3 ASVAB practice/study books! Studying for the full ASVAB is already part of my daily PT routine.

GySgt, should I specifically point it out at MEPS and ask them?

There's no reason to. During screening, they'll ask you about tattoos. You can point it out to them, then. They'll note it's location, and PROBABLY never mention it to you, again! :-)

Good Luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, Sir!

I will continue with the chemical peel stuff until then, and lighten it as much as possible.

I really appreciate the advice!

Thread Information