The marine corps has given me options!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The marine corps has given me options!

I received a call from my recruiter today. He asked me if I wanted to go to Boot Camp June 2nd, instead of October 13th like on my original contract. He also said, if I go to Boot Camp in October as on my original contract, I will be doing Security Forces for 2 years (and getting a top security clearance), then hitting the fleet with whatever job I got at ITB after that was done. He made Security Forces sound kind of cool, so I feel as though I have a lot to think about now. Besides the fact that if I went to Boot in June, I would not be doing SF, there area few things that have me hesitating to go in June. 1: My 20th birthday is in June. 2: I would have to quit my job that I JUST started on Monday...3: I would really have to hustle to get my running and crunches up to par as well as my Marine Corps knowledge such as general orders. What do you Marines think?

You spelled Marine Corps wrong in your thread title.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 05-10-14 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveToDie View Post
    Besides the fact that if I went to Boot in June, I would not be doing SF, there area few things that have me hesitating to go in June.

1: My 20th birthday is in June.
    to me, that is not even a issue, just an excuse

2: I would have to quit my job that I JUST started on Monday...
    ether way you would have to quit your job, this sounds like another excuse that you're trying to talk yourself out of it

3: I would really have to hustle to get my running and crunches up to par as well as my Marine Corps knowledge such as general orders.
    you will have to learn them and get in shape anyway, so why wait till the last moment anyway..
    What do you Marines think?
    in the SF it is harder to get advancement anyway, if you want that kind of MOS in the Military the wait,
    but id you want the title and can get a jump on it, then go as soon as you can, the longer you wait, there could be complications, there could also be other factors that could scratch you from the program altogether..
    but ultimately it all rest on you.. as in what do you really want..
    good luck

Thanks for the reply!
    One thing my recruiter also said, is that most guys end up getting promoted to Corporal very soon after doing the SF billet. So, according to him, I'd be advancing much quicker. I assume part of this is due to the lack of combat deployments at the moment.

hmm,, that's not what has been reported to me, but my info is a few years old, but Cpl. usually come with TIG anyway but if you want to go beyond that in the SF it gets a lot tougher then other billets,, but like I said my info is a few years old..

Would you still get an infantry MOS if you left in June? I look at it like this, if you leave in June you will be starting ITB in October. If you wait until October, you will be at recruit training for Christmas/Thanksgiving. Dont worry about the knowledge, you will have plenty of time to learn all of that. Running you may want to work on though. I think that SF is a secondary MOS and you still would be promoted in your primary MOS and compete with everyone else. SF used to be like a security guard, if that interests you go ahead and wait. I think you are wasting valuable time in grade/time in service by waiting.

I'd still be infantry if I left in June. What my recruiter told me is: If you wanna get the **** out of there, don't worry about your summer job and go in June. However I'll probably get promoted to Lance Corporal while in SF school, and maybe promoted to Cpl. during my two year SF billet.

Personally, I enlisted in the Marine Corps for the training and the experience. From my understanding, this SF billet will get me extra training which I want! And also get me promoted a couple times, which I obviously also want.

What I'm looking for is, reasons NOT to wait until October for the SF billet. I'll be getting a top security clearance right off the bat, promoted very quickly, extra training, and I'll get to get trained with handguns and shotguns. On top of that, I may end up in Washington state, which is awesome. I have aspirations of trying out for MARSOC in a second enlistment if that day comes, and I can only imagine the extra training I'd get in SF would help along with the top security clearance. Apparently slots aren't open that often for this, so I think it could be a shame to miss out. On the other hand, it would be nice to just get started now. I just don't want to be impulsive about it, you know?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't think that you will be getting a TSSC right off the bat. I just doesn't happen like that. You will get one for 2 reasons. 1. you passed the intense background investigation and test. 2. you only get one if you have the need to know.

I know, I held one.

Best of luck to you.

My recruiter told me I'd be getting it because the SF guys need it in order to guard things such as the nuclear submarines. Maybe they already did the background check? They should if they haven't!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Wellllllllllll.............Are you leaving in June....or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Wellllllllllll.............Are you leaving in June....or not?
    Still trying to decide. I go in June, I get to leave sooner and hit the fleet right away, but I quit my job before the seasons over, I spend my birthday in Boot Camp, and I miss out on the SF opportunity where I will get promoted faster and get more training.

I go in October and I get to do the SF billet, and get that training, but I spend Christmas and New Years in Boot Camp, I have to wait longer, keep doing my maintenance job, and I go 2 years without doing the job I was assigned at ITB.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You missed the point.

If you cannot get one for some unknown reason then you won't be Security Forces.

Get through boot camp and earn the title first, then this discussion will become more relevant.

Gotcha. However, my record is completely spotless, I have NO idea why I wouldn't be eligible. Also, you said I spelled Marine Corps incorrectly in my thread title, but I didn't. It automatically put everything in lower case after I posted.

Everything but the " T "

Last edited by Rocky C; 05-10-14 at 06:00 PM.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well let us know when you ship.
    This thread has run it's course.

Best of luck.

Will do. Thank you, Sir.

Thread Information