Enlistment questions from a confused wannabe.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Enlistment questions from a confused wannabe.

Hi, Please ignore my username; I made it when I was 15 and thought I knew what I was doing.
    Excuse the immensely long post but I have a lot of questions and very few answers.
    Today I asked my recruiter if my history of ADHD could disqualify me for enlisting in the Marine Corps. His answer was that the policy had recently been that you needed to be off of your medication for one year prior to enlistment and that you had to show an ability to succeed without the medication, BUT, that policy had recently changed due to downsizing and that you now must have dropped your medication by the age of 14 or you would need a waiver. He also stated that with the downsizing currently going on, waivers being accepted are pretty much like unicorns or the Loch Ness Monster, I.E. good luck getting one accepted. I've wanted to earn the title of Marine since I was four years old and saw the old Toys for Tots commercials with the kid who thinks the Marine is Santa, so I'm not going to let that get to my head. Upon researching his information I have found nothing but the prior policy of only needing to be off of it for one year. Can someone clarify for me what is the truth and what isn't on an ADHD waiver?

I read somewhere that when they consider you for a waiver they look at your physical capabilities, ASVAB score, grades, and any other things that could make you stand out as a better choice or count against you. I made an 86 on my ASVAB, I have no criminal record, no past of extreme mental disorders. I'm constantly improving with the physical fitness, so I feel like getting disqualified for a history of medication to fix me being hyper and a daydreamer when I was younger which later just developed into a burning hatred for mathematics kind of unlikely. Do they look at reasons behind the medication or just the reason in name only?

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

I'd like to be able to help you... but when I joined none of that stuff mattered. No advice other than if you are physically fit and intelligent I don't see a reason why the waiver would not get approved.

Are you currently taking adhd meds? If not, when was the very last time you took them.

I am currently on very minimal dosages of ADHD medication.

You need to be completely off of meds for a year at least to even be considered. There is no waiver if you are currently taking meds.

Well that was the information I had, but my recruiter had mentioned that this policy had very recently changed to something else. What it had changed to he didn't specify. My question is; has the policy changed since the revision in 2013?

No, the guidelines I put in the previous post are the current ones.

Okay, thanks Hukle. Hopefully I can get that waiver accepted.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Huklebuk is an Active Duty Recruiter on the forum.

He just told you twice, no waiver for you for at least a year off meds to even be considered.

I was confused because MY recruiter was telling me that the policy had changed again this year. I just wanted to clear up the confusion so I can begin the process of getting off the medication. I have about a year and a half before I can enlist regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureLT View Post
    I was confused because MY recruiter was telling me that the policy had changed again this year. I just wanted to clear up the confusion so I can begin the process of getting off the medication. I have about a year and a half before I can enlist regardless.
    good luck keep us posted as to how it goes..

Will do. I hope I get the opportunity to earn the title.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I hope you do. A year and a half is a long time away. A lot could change.

Stay out of trouble and best of luck.

Been waiting since I was able to walk, my Senior year isn't any amount of time!

Always have tried to, thank yo guys, the help is much appreciated.

Young man, we are not part of a Broadway musical therefore we are not "GUYS!" Guys wear white sailor suits, Dixie Cup covers and sing in the rain. Address us accordingly; otherwise we might recruit you as an EOD scout.

Good luck.

Thread Information