Opinion on these MOS's?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Opinion on these MOS's?

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I went to meps and took the asvab. I did not get the score I was hoping for, I scored a 43 (I'm embarrassed) I scored a 56 on the practice. When me and my recruiter left we went back to his office to look at the available jobs to me and they are Motor T, Law and Administration, Food Service, and Service management.

The two that is sticking out to me is motor t and admin. thing is I'm more of a psychical work type of person. I don't want to sit behind a desk all day and I would rather have a mos that has high chance of deployments. Everyone is saying go with admin because you can rank up faster and its good in civilian world and then the motor t- yes it is more psychical and combat oriented but I will pretty much be a truck driver.

So..my question is should I just pick one of the two and then retake the test after my 4 years or retake it now and have a chance of either getting a lower score or a higher one?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

I'm not familiar with today's ASVAB scores and relation to MOS, but if you decide to retake the ASVAB, there are study guides out there to help you practice. It may be worth the investment if you want to retake it.

However if you decide not to take it and are stuck between Mo T and Admin, don't make your decision solely because other people tell you this or that would be better for you. You can think about what they say, but base your final decision on what you feel would be more appealing to you, otherwise you are going to be miserable for 4 years. Afterall if you get out in 4 years, Mo T will also have it's job opportunities.

So if you really don't want to be stuck in an office and want something on the more physical side, a better chance to deploy or work with an MEU and get a bit dirty, it sounds to me like you'd be much happier with Motor T.

BTW, you might want to complete your profile (forum rules) before a moderator comes along and shuts down your thread.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post

I'm not familiar with today's ASVAB scores and relation to MOS,

but if you decide to retake the ASVAB,
    there are study guides out there to help you

practice.

It may be worth the investment if you want to retake it.
    Ameriken says it rather well.

I will agree with him , and I will UNDERLINE
    what he said about STUDY GUIDES.....
    There are TONS of them out there.
    One thing you may not have been paying attention
    to while you were in school - is practicing tests (Even when it isn't related ) to what you are going to be testing in Makes you a better test taker, and a higher test scorer when you do test.

IF you're still in school, RUN down to the school library and dig in, take every test you can, and when you're done with those, find and take some more practice exams....

IF you are out of school, run to your local public library and tell the librarians what your intentions and needs are....

And SWEETPEA.
    IN THE meantime

IF it doesnt matter to you what job/mos you have
    PICK one you think you'll like,,, DONT go blaming us
    saying "YOU SAID"..

good luck

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for replying. And Im currently a high school graduate, 21 years old. I have the asvab for dummies book, so I need to study that much more...its pretty much the math that gets me. Also I wont blame anyone for their opinion. I'm just looking for a better understanding on the two MOS. Motor T sounds good- the deployments,psychical aspect and doesn't seem as boring and then the Admin my family says go for because it will benefit me outside the Corps.

Last edited by Rocky C; 04-30-14 at 03:48 PM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    both can be great, dependent on what kind of Marine you are/will be. Also depends on what type of Marine Corps experience you want.

I know many motor-t guys who have been on multiple deployments and that is all there Marine Corps career has been so far...back to back to back combat deployments. (Just keep in mind combat deployments don't really exist anymore with the drawdown in Afghanistan).

I also know of a few Admin guys that have gotten some awesome special duty assignments and b-billets and were stationed in places that most Marines don't get to go because they were stellar Marines and got the opportunity to do these things based on their MOS.

I can't sat either of these things will happen with you, I am just pointing out the fact that your MOS can have an effect on what you do and where you go but what kind of Marine you are/become is a bigger factor

Here's a 4.y.o. thread on admin, in between the banter there are some good views on admin and admin-like positions.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...0Adminstrative

I would personally prefer Motor-T. You should also know that Motor-T is not just driving trucks, as they have to spend quite a bit of time maintaining those vehicles as well. I can only imagine an admin MOS being my own personal hell from day 1 all the way to well after I EAS. If you are a physical person and want to deploy, I would go with Motor-T hands down.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the link ameriken, And when I went to PT today my recruiter told me they are going to have me retake the test in 30 days. not sure how I feel. Hopefully I will do much better this time around.

Boot Camp and the Corps is all about overcoming challenges. You may have heard the expression 'adapt improvise overcome'. You've got your first challenge in front of you, so if you're really interested in becoming a Marine, this is a good time to reach deep down side you and find a way to get that ASVAB score up.

Good luck, keep us up to date.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can pick up the book " ASVAB for Dummies " at any book store. Most of the recruiters have one on hand in the office here in Rhode Island.

Ask your recruiter.

If you don't want to buy it try your local library.

It's a great tool to have.

Here is the link for you.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/asva...=9780470637616

Best of luck to you.

She's got it Rocky (post 5). She just needs to dig deep and work hard on the math.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OOPS, thanks Ken

Hell, if I had to pick from them i'd choose motor T.

Thread Information