Wearing or using surplus MARPAT in public?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Wearing or using surplus MARPAT in public?

Dear Marines,

First, thank you and I have the most respect for all of you whom have "manned up" more then any of us non-marines.

I'm interested in your views on people wearing MARPAT items in public. There are situations where one may wear or use MARPAT in situations which involve the outdoors, like camping, hiking, etc.. There is a great deal of MARPAT (and ACU) items available on Ebay and other surplus outlets. These items are legal quality gear (Packs, Tents, Trousers, Gore-Tex Jackets) at a good price. For instance, one may find Arc'Teryx designed packs and/or jackets at 1/8 of the price new. I have complete respect for all of you who served and believe you have done the ultimate service for our country. I often wonder why you are not given this gear at the end of it's useful life and it at the same time government spending of American tax dollars requires the gear be available for highest bid when it's retired. Ideally our government would auction this stuff off and use that money directly for veteran affairs funding.

I bring this up because I was carrying a surplus MARPAT ILBE Assault Pack in NYC the other day and a man said, "Hey, where did you get that backpack?". I knew exactly what was going on and responded that I purchased it surplus on Ebay, the Marines pick and design the best equipment available (well you may differ on that), he responded that he was he in the Marines and remembered the pack, then I thanked him. He certainly wasn't upset and everything seemed as if he was more interested if I had served. It was a very "man up" type of moment.

Does anyone have opinions on civillians using the surplus gear in public? Would wearing a ILBE MARPAT backpack on the way to an outdoor adventure cause an issue? How about putting on MARPAT pants and/or jacket in the woods? Let's say all of this gear has no USMC emblem or rank patches on it.

Thanks for your input

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If someone is wearing out on a camping trip, out shooting, etc. I don't care, hell I wear my desert trousers with a t-shirt out to the desert when I go shooting(no sense in ruining a pair of jeans).

But you better believe if I see someone wearing my uniform out in town at the mall, grocery store, etc. in public I WILL say something and it's not going to be pleasant. People like that, veterans or not, are screaming for attention....and they'll get it but not the good kind.

I have no problem whatsoever with civilians wearing USMC stuff. After all imitation is the best form of flattery and the gear is pretty good. Although, I do have a problem with wannabees playing dress up and people wearing medals, ranks, and badges for jewelry. However, I also think people look ridiculous wearing bloused camo trousers and such in an indoor shooting range, Walmart, etc. It bothers me when active and former Marines wear the stuff out in town because they should know better and it makes them look silly IMHO.

Personally it all comes down to what side of the line the person is standing on when you look at stolen valor. If the person is attempting to represent themselves falsely as a Marine, then I have an issue. If the person is a Marine and he is wearing his cammies to Wal-Mart we are going to have some issue. If the person just got a blouse or something from their family and are not trying to represent themselves as something/someone they are not, then I have no issue. I gave my dad one of my flight jackets when I got out, he wears it all the time. It still has my name patch on it, so if someone asks if he is a Marine or a pilot or something he just says that his son is a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    STOLEN VALOR is one thing

but wearing utilities/cammies/marpats/
    call them what you will

Get over it..

IF you aren't Currently in the military and
    subservient to regulations..

WHO CARES ?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If your out in public trying to play the part with a uniform on or you are on active duty out running errands in your cammies then I have a problem with that.

Other than that, have a nice day...

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Marines,
    Thank you for your input. Insightful and very appreciated.
    Nick

Thread Information