E-3 LCpl out of bootcamp???
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

E-3 LCpl out of bootcamp???

My boyfriend is at MCRD in Parris Island. In the beggining he was assigned squad leader. I received a letter a few days ago where he told me he is now the platoon guide. He also said that there is a possibility of him graduating an "E-3 LCPL."

I don't know much about this topic so I needed to do alot of online research. The more I researched the more I realize that E-3 LCPL straight out of boot is basically unheard of... or very rare.

He is a very motivated person so I know he has great potential. BUT I just do not understand how he is confident in saying he will probably graduate an E-3 LCPL? Especially because he is the type of person who does not like to claim or even mention things before they happen. I have asked him about it, but as you may know letters don't come that often so I have not gotten a response back.

Some backround that may be relevant:
    He is a little older than most recruits, he is 23 so maybe because he is more mature and or more disciplined? He also had about 40 college credits before going in. He also prepared for boot for months before joining, PTing several times a week, running everyday, and did alot of homework on the USMC. So perhaps these are reasons why?

Is graduating E-3 possible, and if so (in his circumstances) how likely?

Disclaimer: I have researched enough online to know that graduating E-3 LCpl from boot is actually looked down upon by many fellow Marines. They feel the person "didn't earn the rank" or "didn't do the time for the rank". I have also posted one other post on this site, I know enough to know that some users can be harsh. So if you have any negative // non-helpful information, just don't respond. Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Saraxo View Post
    I have also posted one other post on this site, I know enough to know that some users can be harsh. So if you have any negative // non-helpful information, just don't respond. Thanks!
    Learn your place, young lady. You are on a Marine Corps site and you are just a Marine Friend.
    You DO NOT get to tell any Marines on this site what they can or cannot respond to.
    If you DO NOT like any answers that are given, don't respond to them.
    You've got a lot to learn IF you ever become the Spouse of a Marine.

It's nice to ask questions, but your boyfriend isn't the only 23 year old that goes through boot camp who pt's before he leaves, studies Marine Corps knowledge, is motivated, mature, and who has college credits.

There are more important things your boyfriend should be worrying while going through boot camp instead of what rank he'll pick up when and if he graduates....and so should you.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 04-06-14 at 03:07 PM.

@Lisa 23

All I said was if you have any negative // non-helpful information, just don't respond. You are the expert of the site so you know that my words do not restrict anyones' capabilities. Everyone is free to do as they please I just asked for no harshness (because on my last post I got chewed out for no reason... kind of like how I am being attacked right now). There are some critical people on this site, as well as some very helpful people and I was simply trying to avoid negativity!!

Clearly my boyfriend is worried about completing boot since he is doing so well. Neither of us "worry" about ranks. He mentioned it once out of many letters. I as a Marine FRIEND try being supportive by learning about bootcamp, recruit life, and the USMC. Hense why I got curious and posted this.

I don't understand what you were trying to get at when telling me there are many other recruits like my boyfriend. The only reason I mentioned his college credits, and age was to give backround thinking they may be reasons to why he has possibility of graduating E-3?...

Sorry if I've offended you but I genuinely did not have any bad intentions!!!

Last edited by Lisa 23; 04-06-14 at 03:35 PM.

You are going to get answers to your questions...some will be helpful and some will not be helpful.

And in no way are you being attacked. If you can't handle what's being said on the internet, then when and if you become a Marine Spouse, you will not be able to handle it.

On that note....please move on.

1) when I went through boot, I picked up Meritorious PFC (E-2), there was one other that made that, there were also some that graduated with me that got E-3 or L/Cpl,, they were people that had ether prior service or had went through ROTC and were had at least PFC in the bag for enlisting and then were Platoon Guides and mad an additional rank that way, so if he get L/Cpl that will be something for sure, it is almost unheard of in today's Marine Corps..

2) remember that most all Marines here have seen a lot of crap and also have earned the Title Marine,, it is not something that is easy to achieve by no means.. and you also must understand that to most Marines, a civilian is just that, and have no way of understanding the Marine way. so even though we do not mean to come across as harsh or mean, it is because, as A good friend of mine said, if you aren't a Marine you are crap...lol sounds mean I know but that is and goes with the attitude of a Marine, and you will understand it better if your husband to be makes the grade..

there is a lot of things you are not aware of planning to be the spouse of a Marine, it can be the best time of your life or the worse time,, it all depend on how and if you accept the Marine Corps.. that is the big question, your Husband to be if he graduates will be different when he returns.. so be prepared.. no one here can say anything that will eve come close to how he will have changed..

again good luck..

@Lisa 23

Where is Ashton Kutcher am I being punkd?

I am on leatherneck.com a place for United States Marines, their friends, families, and spouses to interact. The Marine Corps is internationally known for protecting Americas' freedoms YET I am being edited and monitored by you (Lisa 23). You take out certain sentences in my posts, even though they do not consist of curses or offensive material... Just because you do not like it, how is that fair? You also continously edit your posts.

I am handling things just fine, and if you haven't noticed by now I am a very strong willed person. Who will speak up. Thanks. I am moving on now if my words remain untouched. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    1) when I went through boot, I picked up Meritorious PFC (E-2), there was one other that made that, there were also some that graduated with me that got E-3 or L/Cpl,, they were people that had ether prior service or had went through ROTC and were had at least PFC in the bag for enlisting and then were Platoon Guides and mad an additional rank that way, so if he get L/Cpl that will be something for sure, it is almost unheard of in today's Marine Corps..

2) remember that most all Marines here have seen a lot of crap and also have earned the Title Marine,, it is not something that is easy to achieve by no means.. and you also must understand that to most Marines, a civilian is just that, and have no way of understanding the Marine way. so even though we do not mean to come across as harsh or mean, it is because, as A good friend of mine said, if you aren't a Marine you are crap...lol sounds mean I know but that is and goes with the attitude of a Marine, and you will understand it better if your husband to be makes the grade..

there is a lot of things you are not aware of planning to be the spouse of a Marine, it can be the best time of your life or the worse time,, it all depend on how and if you accept the Marine Corps.. that is the big question, your Husband to be if he graduates will be different when he returns.. so be prepared.. no one here can say anything that will eve come close to how he will have changed..

again good luck..

Man you are to nice to her!!! It's a good think I'm not responding 2 months ago I might would have told her or band her for callus way she reponded to Lisa23 response.. young Lady very seldom do recruits leave Boot Camp making E-3 unless they can walk on water or have Pryor service . Good luck to him ...

@Marine1955 What you are missing in this whole equation is that Lisa 23 has been editing everything. She is taking out things that I have said, as well as continuously editing her posts. This makes me look unfavorable. I am literally being sensored. Where is the freedom in that? You do not know the original posts so please don't judge so harshly until you read everything - which you wont be able to thanks to Lisa 23. I garuntee you this will also be deleted in the matter of minutes.

Lisa Lisa Lisa, entirely uncalled for response. no wonder SOME people have an unfavorable evaluation about Marines. now if you will take note Pat had a very polite and respectful response to the young lady. in my Marine Corp. we were taught to respect people, unless they gave us cause not to. Lisa you could write a book entitled "how to win and influence new friends "

Saraxo....your posts have been removed for a reason. Personal issues are to be taken up in PM's, not on the forum.

Now, lets get back on topic.

@irpat54 Thanks again for a great answer. I appreciate your pateince. Some people do not realize that it takes a while to even begin understanding the way Marines are and the way things work in the USMC. I am trying to be supportive of my recruit.

As for Marines looking at others as "outsiders", I understand this perspective completely coming from a family of doctors and becoming a doctor myself sometimes we tend to have this complex as well. Though I don't like to treat people as if they are below me. I literally have nothing but good intentions and genuine curiosity for the USMC, but the responses on my past two posts have scared me to ever post again...

It's time for everyone to move on and get back on topic.
    Anymore personal issues with me, please take it up in a PM, not on the forum.

@irpat and anyone else on this forum is it true that honor grads get longer leave between boot and MCT than the other grads? I know of an honor grad who had a 21 day leave, not sure if it was because he was an honor grad or if it was because he applied for recruiter's assistant

[QUOTE=Saraxo;951032]@irpat and anyone else on this forum is it true that honor grads get longer leave between boot and MCT than the other grads? I know of an honor grad who had a 21 day leave, not sure if it was because he was an honor grad or if it was because he applied for recruiter's assistant[/QUOTE

sounds like this fella has his act together, generally everyone gets the same amount of leave however i am not expert on this.
    i went to boot camp and then ITR training then before going to MOS training i got my 30 days leave early before shipping to Nam.

now when i left nam to go home on leave, i was in philly naval hospital for 2 1/2 months and they gave me 2 weeks convalescence leave non chargeable to me courtesy of the us government . that is the only free leave that i know to be given out. good luck batw

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This thread is being moderated.

Stick to the topic please.

Thank you Marines for your answers to the OP's questions.

Take the problems to a PM.

No, Honor Grads do not get anymore leave than other Graduates.
    Yes, Recruits can graduate as a Lance Corporal, we just had a member of this forum do so almost 4 months ago.

Saraxo, your status on this forum will be changed shortly to " Marine Friend " then changed back to " Marine Spouse " once you 2 get married.

Best of luck to you and your boyfriend.

Please have him join the forum once he graduates.

Thread Information