DD214 question about going national guard to Active Marine Corps
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Exclamation DD214 question about going national guard to Active Marine Corps

Greetings you outstanding Marines. I have explained my situation in full detail from a thread before seen here>>>>
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...-it&highlight=

An update on the situation: I have sent my package to be seen at Bumed and in a month's time I was denied but not pdq for the waiver. The second time around which is currently what I am doing now I am resubmitting the package with new information (allergy doctor statement that verifyed my allergic reaction to the medication, found some fellow Marines from my platoon that have written eye witness statements of my performance as well as have eye witness account from my Drill Instructor.)

My question is not to see what the outcome of the waiver may be but is actually to see if I could get another question answered.

I am now 24 and have been trying to get back into the beloved Corps since 18 and even though I had to have a 3 year wait before submitting a waiver package...,I can't hold my military career off forever, if for example a month later this new Bumed package gets denied again I have no other proof to send verifying that I was not depressed in training. I have been looking into other branches of services and I understand that the Air Force is picky about prior service especially those with RE3P codes and the Navy pretty much would fall under the same decision that the Bumed answer would give. But if I were to go to the Army or the Army National Guard they already said they could more than likely get a waiver for me to enter.

Question 1: If I do get accepted into the Army national guard and either complete my contract or get a conditional release and tried to rejoin the Marine Corps...does the Marine Corps look at the old DD214 which has a RE3P code with JFV1 separation or does the Marine Corps only focus on the new dd214 or what the ng wants to call it the NGB22? (that I would have received from my service in the Army)

I am asking this because if I can get conditionally released from my Army unit, I want to know if the Marines would be like no you can't join because your reason for being honorably discharged medically still applies (Even though the medical reason was a misdiagnosis). If I know that they are going to say that before signing any papers than I would just go active duty Army (I only have ng as an option to complete college since I have a few semesters left and would go the officer route before I am too old)

Question 2: Also, is it easier to switch over to the Marines from the National Guard or full time Army? Just asking from those with experience.

****I understand fully how the entire process works as well as the needs of the military and if the unit would allow me to leave or whatnot. In my recruiting region I am not concerned if the Marine Corps would take me back because I have already had a few meetings with the Sgt. Major and the Co here in 6th Marine Corps District and he has verbally told me that he would give me the prior service waiver, it is just the medical waiver for a condition I do not have that is keeping me from enlisting.

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 03-26-14 at 08:08 AM. Reason: On this site, you do not rate to say Semper Fi until you have EARNED the title...United States Marine.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Send a PM to this Marine.
    He is an Active Duty Recruiter on the forum.
    I doubt he will see your post here.
    Tell him I sent you to him and have him also post his answer here to your questions for future reference.

Thank you and best of luck.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/me...08340-Huklebuk

Credits
    Savings
    I will do that thank you Rocky C

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your welcome Kwenela .

If the bumed gets denied, it pdq's you from all branches. All branches go through the same meps, the same process. Getting from the national guard to the MC is going to be difficult, not impossible. But if you can get in the NG, then why do that when you could just come into the MC? I would continue to work the waiver and see what happens. Bumeds are rough, some can take a long time. Be patient.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you Brant.
    Your the best Brother

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry for the late reply.
    Thank you Huklebuk but I do understand that all branches go through the same Meps. Thankfully I am only TDQ for now. What I do not understand is why is it that when one can't get a medical waiver through the BUMED process in the Marine Corps, why is it that it is a given that recruiters tell applicants to try with the national guard or the Army; if they are ultimately going to be denied again anyway? I do understand that there are small differences in medical guidelines for each branch, but for example there are people that have gotten denied for a back or shoulder issue in the Marine Corps process that went straight into the Army. I do understand that Bumed does not grant waivers but can recommend them but how is this possible? (unless the recruiting commander did not grant the waiver)
    For example I talked to an Army national guardsmen recruiter about joining the ang and after going through their basic, ait, and serving some time in my unit....he said that my new dd214 from the Army would make my old one from the Marine Corps null and void making it possible to conditional release into the Active Marine Corps. Is what he said true? I already have a prior service waiver so it shouldnet be a problem going Active MC after the conditional release, but would my old DD214 be null and void?

Regardless I am still currently working the waiver and pretty much finalizing on the documentation. I will keep you up to date on how that goes.

A dd214 is never null and void to my knowledge. I honestly don't know what the little differences are. There are a lot, and I assure you it frustrates us just as much as it does for you all. I would stick with the process and see where that takes you. If it doesn't work out then try the national guard. Its a unique situation, but making the transition rom national guard to Marines is not easy. In the past we have had a hard time making it happen.

Again I understand your frustration with the process. Not a day goes by we don't complain about it. It annoys us just as much believe me.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you I am continuing the process I will keep you up to date once it has been sent out and confirmed denied or waiver recommended. Staying in this!!!!!

Thread Information