What's life like for an 1142?
Create Post

What's life like for an 1142?

Good evening Marines. I just finished MCT east this past week and was promptly transported over here to Courthouse Bay. Like a number of others, I thought I was going to be put in to Comms on the Communications/Electrician option contract I got.

However, I was selected to be an 1142. I admit I was a little put out at first as I originally wanted to be a Field Radio Operator but, after having talked to two of my former Combat Instructors from MCT who also served as 1142's I'm a little more optimistic about the MOS I have been selected for.

As I understand it, I will be a general electrician and the likelihood of going on a MEU is very likely as those in 1100 are highly needed. I've been unsuccessful thus far on finding out as much information as I would like though on what deployments are like for an 1142.

My Combat Instructors had pretty much assured me that I could/would be attached to infantry and would be in the field a good bit conducting various operations to keep different kinds of equipment up and running.

However, I also understand that the primary focus of this MOS is being a generator electrician so I'm concerned that whatever deployment I go on, I will be stuck within the confines of the base.

I know that I'm not going to be kicking in as many/ if any of the doors and shooting things up that the infantry gets to do and I can deal with that, I just can't deal with being a benchwarmer.

Any insight that any of the Senior Marines here can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, like everyone else, I have plans to go for a lat move after my first 2 years in my MOS are completed.

From what I'm told, lat moves are limited to whatever MOS's are in need of people and if your MOS doesn't need you.

My tops picks for an MOS change if possible would be to 1800, 0800, or 0621. I will probably be willing to go after 0300 depending on whatever the needs of the Corps may be at that point. Thank you ladies and gentlemen.! ( Marines )...