marine in need!
Create Post

Thread: marine in need!

marine in need!

So I graduated boot camp December 20 1st batallion delta company plt 1098. And ever since I have gotten home I have been bombarded by bills that my mom needs help paying because she is in debt.

It is stressing me out because its leaving me with little money and I need to have money for MCT and for extra uniform gear I will need to buy.

I talked to one of my drill instructors about this and he said that it was a honorable thing to do to help out your family but he said that he has seen many Marines go down my path but they end up not even being able to go out or even by a burger.

Should I sign up for the Navy Marine relief society or what should I do guys ( Marines ) ?

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-27-13 at 05:25 PM.

Congrats on earning the title, talk to your Gunny or 1stSgt, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Congrats on earning the title, talk to your Gunny or 1stSgt, Semper Fidelis.
    Best advise you can get, I know that family has brought down many Marines over the years and sometimes you have to look at how the family got to this place and why. See Marine I to faced this problem but after finding out that my family could have avoided this if they just watch what they were doing they would be in good with money and would not have any dept. This is something they did not you they made the dept not you, why did they do it and why?

Thank you. At the moment I do not have a 1stSgt or Gunny to talk to because I just got out of boot camp and I am on boot leave. I guess i will talk to my recruiter once i get RA.

Your Mother got in debt, HOW??

She can't keep up payments for the house and she has been taking loans and not paying back.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    You're stuck in a rough position, my view is that you don't help her out at all. You're an adult and so is she, you have your own life/career to worry about now and while it is admirable to help I don't think it is in either her or your best interest to do so.

Focus on you right now ... and you'll be able to help her later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    Focus on you right now ... and you'll be able to help her later.
    You guys (Marines) are right. I cant go broke trying to help her out but in the process I end up screwing my self up big time especially when I would need to buy extra cammies or to enjoy myself a little bit.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 12-27-13 at 10:19 PM.

The big thing is do not let your family run you down the gilt trip road. You did not get behind in payments nor did you put your family in this position. Your is to stay out of dept, the borower is slave to the lender, and that will nver change. Some things you can not change some you can. Now work on you it is your future.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Ask her...."What do I look like Quiken Loan?"

Can't help somebody that won't help themselves!

Do not risk your enlistment and the money you need to do something that will hinder your career.

Maybe at a permanent change of station you may be able to set up a small allotment...to help....not to live on lobster when should be eating beans!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhandall View Post
    She can't keep up payments for the house and she has been taking loans and not paying back.
    Appears that you were not involved in any of your Mother's debt making. I do not know how the Marine Corps feels about a Marine's debt these days but used to be that they really frowned on it.

With the pay you are getting there is really nothing you can do about your mothers loans. She made the loans and she is responsible for them. Tough to swallow, but that's the way it is. House will probably end up in fourcloser.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Even if you did fill out an application with the Navy/Marine Relief Society and get a loan from them ( It is not a gift ), the minimum is $100. and the maximum is $500. with 10 months to pay if off right out of your pay.

That won't even put a dent in your Mothers financial mess but if it will make your heart and mind feel better to help her tell her how you can do this one time relief aid.

At some point you just have to say no Marine.

Best of luck to you in your decision.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    If she has having trouble making payments on the house, the best thing for her to would be to call the mortgage company. There is a lot of assistance out there for people that fall behind in Mortgage payments. She can get a loan modification, and depending on what state she is in there is also state help. Please don't let her ignore the problem, and the worse thing she could do is ask you for your money. You wokred hard for it, and it is your money. ....best thing to do is call the mortgage company. Good Luck and congrats!

Congrats on earning the title. To start your mother did not get in this mess in the 13 weeks you were boot camp. So you must have known about this so it is not your debt. Marine Corps does not put up with Marines in debt, it could cost you LCpl, could cost you your next good duty station, they will stick you at 29 Stumps and leave you they will do a credit check on you.

Thread Information