Info from Marines about post USMC life - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Ask your parents if you can bring a Marine Recruiter over the house to speak to them.

I guarantee by the time he/she leaves they will have gained a whole new insight and perspective about The United States Marine Corps.
    Heck Rocky, his parents will want to enlist!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes indeed Kegs

Thanks for all of the advice, Marines. I plan to contact a recruiter soon. I would have already done so, however I have had very little time due to vacation and work recently. Hopefully, the recruiter will change my parents view of the Marines since they are so upset about my decision. Also, Changster, I do believe there is a recon contract ( I'm nearly sure this is the correct term for it. If not, please correct me Marines). I do understand that it only guarantees me a shot at the recon indoc and not the MOS (unless I graduate the course). Of course, it depends on my recruiter and whether he will have one.

Hey Marines, I thought I would post an update on my situation. Today, my parents sat down and had a talk with me. They said that they had been researching and talking to previously enlisted Marines. They said that the majority of Marines they talked to said that they regret their decision enlisting. Also, according to my parents, all of these Marines are behind in work (as in getting promotions, raises, etc.), and will never catch up to their non-Marine coworkers. They also provided this example: My uncle enlisted in the Marines (I'm not very close to him, so I was unaware of this) after high school and is currently making decent pay, but nothing spectacular. My other uncle is a successful doctor who went to college after high school. Both uncles grew up in the same household and environment. They said that the Marine is hardworking, but in terms of success, him and my other uncle are miles apart and that the only difference between them is that one enlisted in the Marines. While I still believe that my future is in my hands, it frustrates me that they have these ideas about the Marines. After reading countless posts on here, it seems impossible to find Marines that wish they never enlisted. They told me that they believe I am not making the right decision and will not see a recruiter with me. I will have to wait until I turn 18, in June, to enlist.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsadair View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice, Marines. I plan to contact a recruiter soon. I would have already done so, however I have had very little time due to vacation and work recently. Hopefully, the recruiter will change my parents view of the Marines since they are so upset about my decision. Also, Changster, I do believe there is a recon contract ( I'm nearly sure this is the correct term for it. If not, please correct me Marines). I do understand that it only guarantees me a shot at the recon indoc and not the MOS (unless I graduate the course). Of course, it depends on my recruiter and whether he will have one.
    The 'recon' contract is known as the UZ contract (at least when I went in in 2007). You enlist as an 03xx with a chance at INDOC and if you pass, BRC. You get 0321 once you graduate. Right now, there is some demand for recon to where they are letting Marines lat-move over so there should be a chance at getting a spot.

If you don't- dont worry. You can still attend INDOC during SOI (they will take most Marines from ITB more than MCT but MCT Marines sometimes get in). Or worst comes to worst, you lat move to recon.

It's a big argument I know. I enlisted right out of high school, my mother said the same thing to me. My father however was more positive about it(being a retired Marine himself). I know plenty of guys who got out and went to college. Instead of failing you'll find bigger success. Go with however you feel.

Hey Marines, I thought I would post an update on my situation. Today, my parents sat down and had a talk with me. They said that they had been researching and talking to previously enlisted Marines. They said that the majority of Marines they talked to said that they regret their decision enlisting. Also, according to my parents, all of these Marines are behind in work (as in getting promotions, raises, etc.), and will never catch up to their non-Marine coworkers. They also provided this example: My uncle enlisted in the Marines (I'm not very close to him, so I was unaware of this) after high school and is currently making decent pay, but nothing spectacular. My other uncle is a successful doctor who went to college after high school. Both uncles grew up in the same household and environment. They said that the Marine is hardworking, but in terms of success, him and my other uncle are miles apart and that the only difference between them is that one enlisted in the Marines. While I still believe that my future is in my hands, it frustrates me that they have these ideas about the Marines. After reading countless posts on here, it seems impossible to find Marines that wish they never enlisted. They told me that they believe I am not making the right decision and will not see a recruiter with me. I will have to wait until I turn 18, in June, to enlist.
    It seems like the difference is one uncle went to med school and one did not...

Anecdotal "evidence" means jack ****. The fact is the Marine Corps is 4 years of leadership training. Take it or leave it.

My father is an attorney, he works with other attorney's who were enlisted Marines. My buddy is making 60 thousand a year having just got his BS in Mech Engineering which he didn't have to pay for, by the way, because he was hired with veterans preference. So I can give anecdotes all day long as well.

When you are an adult, make an adult decision. The reason my parents signed when I was 17 (I still shipped at 18) was because they are smart, and realized it A. Comes off your IRR (stop loss-able) time, and B. Gives me a head start in selecting an MOS. I don't come from an "anti-military" family, but one with VERY little experience with the armed forces, apart from a grandfather who was intel in the USAF.

For what its worth, the military has helped me get every part time job I have had while attending school, which they are also paying for. As I mentioned earlier, my fiance just got her BS, just got hired and has offers from other places, making good money, and still is planning on going to med school as a Marine combat vet.

I don't know what to tell you other than your parents are either seeking out ****-ups, have a skewed sense of worth, or are just trying to brain wash you into doing what they think is best.

Here are some accomplished Marines you can tell your folks about... Maybe they've heard of people like John Glenn, Ted Williams, Drew Carey, or companies like FEDEX which was founded by a Marine.

Sorry, your folks are full of it.

Mike

Thanks for all the help, Marines. Especially crazymjb, you have been extremely helpful with my situation. I really am firm in my decision to enlist, but when my parents talk to me I sometimes feel like I am over looking flaws in my decision to join because I am so in to the Marines. However, I know this is not the case after looking at these replies. Anyways, today I copy and pasted some replies from this thread on to an email to my mom. I'm hoping that these opinions expressed by enlisted Marines will help change her view on it, since she refuses to visit the recruiting office with me. Like I said before, I'm %100 in my decision to enlist and I do not need their support; however, I would really like to enlist now for the benefits crazymjb listed and also because I'm simply enthusiastic to start the process. Also, I only copied and pasted the text, so it is completely anonymous. I will update soon.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I hope you didn't yet !!!

Copyright Notice:

All rights of this website is reserved. This includes the rights to its name, domain name, trademarks, concept, format, content, style, skin, code, database and every other element in this website. No part of this website, its content, name, applications, documents, programs, texts, design elements, images, posts, look, feel, atmosphere or format can be copied, shared, moved, published or used without prior and explicit consent of its Author.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for all the help, Marines.
    Especially crazymjb,
    when my parents talk to me I feel I am
    over looking flaws in my decision to " ENLIST "
    I am so into the Marines.

((I'm hoping that these opinions expressed
    by enlisted Marines will help change her view, *
    she refuses to visit the recruiting office with me.))

I'm %100 in my decision to enlist
    I do not need their support;
    however, I would really like to enlist now
    for the benefits crazymjb listed
    and also because I'm simply enthusiastic to start the process.
    SWEETPEA...
    you don't "Join the Marines"

Lots of things in life will you influence .
    Hopefully , your mothers love is NOT.

Understand ,, she may or may not look
    favoribly on the CORPS, with or with out
    your sorrya$$ ....

She and your father are looking out for
    you and what they think is the best for
    your future...Take it from there....

The email was still a draft when I saw your post, Rocky. So I did not send it and deleted it. Next time I will pay more attention to the copyright notice. Also, m14ed, I understand that my parents are trying to do what is best for my future, I was just hoping that they would at least talk to a recruiter with me and be a little more open minded about it. Maybe they will change their minds over the next few months (its only been about 3 weeks since I told them about my decision to enlist), so I don't have to wait until I'm 18 to enlist.

I thought I would update you Marines on my situation. This time it's a bit more positive. Just yesterday, a Marine recruiter called my mother because he wanted to see if my sister, a recent graduate, was interested in enlisting. My mother actually told him I was interested and gave him permission to come have a meeting with me at my school. My parents are still really against my enlisting, but I think they realized that I have my mind made up. So if everything goes well, I should be changing my status on here from "Marine friend" to "Poolee" in no time.

That's good to hear......I think......I guess your sister is more valuable than you? lol just kidding.

Congratulations. Your parents' decision says a lot about them: they care and RESPECT you, unconditionally. Good life experience lesson. Remember this.

Thread Information