I want to enlist, but people are telling me it's a bad idea, what should i do?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question I want to enlist, but people are telling me it's a bad idea, what should i do?

I have always wanted to enlist in the Marine Corps, since before I can remember. There is nothing more that I want then to be able to hold the title United States Marine. But for the first time in my life, the veterans I talk to (from several branches of the military including the Marines), and my friends and family are telling me it's not a good idea. The only person encouraging me to join is the recruiter. Is it really that bad in the Corps right now, and is it a good idea to join? I am open to any opinion and/or information right now. thanks

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 12-01-13 at 08:16 AM.

As a veteran myself, I would say things are a lot different today than they were when I retired (for the worse). I do not like that our military has become one big social experiment. Sequestration continues to harm our ability to retain quality personnel (whole units are being disbanded), train the way we need to train, reequip after 12 years of war, and invest in the future force. The Department of Defense and Congress are intent on reducing pay and benefits as well as revamping the retirement system at the expense of recruiting quality people like you. It is understandable young people like yourself are asking if the sacrafices required for military service today are worth it.

On the bright side, the Marines who have been fighting the war on terrorism for the past 12 years have acquitted themselves well on the battlefield and upheld our highest traditions. I am proud of their service.

I am a patriot and believe in defending your country (did so for 22.6 years). If you're torn between serving or not serving, the tie-breaker should go to serving our nation. If it doesn't meet your expections you can always get out after your contract expires (and be a better person for your service).

We could give you dozens of people who say joining now is the best thing ever, and probably dozens of people who will tell you joining right now is the worst thing ever. Get the facts from people serving now, don't go off rumors and biased opinions. Make the informed decision for yourself.

I wouldn't take advise from anyone who's never served in the Marine Corps, or the military, regarding your desire to enlist in the Marine Corps. Every Marine here will tell you it's the best decision they made.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You have to make up your own mind and you have to want to enlist.
    It all comes down to " what do you want to do " ???

It's an adult decision that you need to be an adult to make.

Having been in the shoes of someone who wanted to join the Marines since I was young I will tell you this: It is not all as glamorous/fun most of the time as you probably think it is. The first few years may very well have more downs than ups. In my opinion, at the end of the day, it's absolutely worth it. Just be prepared that there is always a lot of bureaucracy to deal with. Also, as the new guy, you are going to have to prove yourself and you will be expected to do a lot of "crap" like cleaning, working parties, etc. We all start there, and MOST of us get past it.

A very good portion of your first (which may be your only) enlistment is gonna suck, but it only gets better as long as you continue to improve.

Ultimately you have to ask yourself if you will look back and regret never having served.

Mike

I'd say there is some very good advice already posted. What if? will be your question. Go with your heart and gut. YOU get out of it what YOU put into it. I enlisted in 90 and just retired a few years ago. My command was disbanded and so on, that's just something YOU can't control just like our politicians. I say no matter your decision you go at it with a good attitude and mindset and you'll be successful. Everyone will tell you here....no matter good or bad...they're proud of their service.

Thread Information