Top Secret Clearance and criminal background
Create Post

Top Secret Clearance and criminal background

I have retail fraud (theft from a store) on my record, and a few tickets. I was young and stupid. The retail fraud was taken off the public record because of my age. I really wanted to go Intel when I leave for boot camp in December (originally January).

My recruiter told me he called to try and move my ship date, and get an Intel MOS, and was told I could not go Intel because of the retail fraud.

Is there any way to repeal this?

My recruiter said there is a guaranteed electronics maintenance MOS available, but it doesn't sound like something I'd like to do for 5 years and I was looking forward to Intel. I got a 90 on the ASVAB and 109 on the DLAB and I was also looking to learn another language.

Any advice or comments are welcome and appreciated.

Zacharia Lentz
    USMC Poolee
    Midland, MI

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Uranium; 11-15-13 at 12:24 AM. Reason: name spelling

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Repeal ? Do you mean a waiver ?

If your recruiter said no, ( because he already tried ) then it's no.

Best of luck to you.

There are those here who will tell you to not give up and if you play hardball long enough with your recruiter you'll get what you want (eventually). Personally, I do not subscribe to that theory. In your case, your recruiter has already gone to higher headquarters with the request and was turned down for a specific reason. It's not realistic to expect them to keep harrassing their district headquarters with the same request after they've been told "no" already.

TS clearances are not just handed out and are difficult to attain for obvious reasons (secret clearances are less difficult). Part of the special background investigation for a TS includes character references and assessments. A record of retail fraud (eventhough it may have occured years ago and you were immature at the time) is an indication of questionable character - to the point anyway they don't want to take a gamble on you. There is also the matter of expense - they do not want to spend the money to send you to intel school with the chance your final TS would not be adjudicated meaning you could not graduate and be given the MOS. At that point, they would then have to pay the money to send you to a different MOS school. The idea is to make it a one-shot deal and something they have confidence in you completing. I would forget about Intel and move on as much as you don't like that idea. There are tons of people who come on here claiming the mistakes they made when they were young is affecting their options today - that is just a fact of life and hard lesson to learn. The things we all do today have consequences on what happens tomorrow.

If you do not want electronics maintenance don't take it. You probably qualify for it because your EL score is high (just like the others scores) and there happens to be current openings available. Because of your GT score, you should qualify for many other MOS's (that do not require a final TS). Just tell your recruiter you'll wait for something that interests you. But, time is not on your side if you still want to ship in December. If you insist on waiting for something better, you may have to move your ship date further out. You cannot be in the DEP longer than 365 days - longer than that and you'll be discharged.

You are going to have to make some important/difficult decisions with not much time to make them. Good luck and keep us updated.

The retail fraud issue is not a show-stopper to getting a TS clearance. However, if you require a district level waiver to enlist because of the retail fraud issue, then you better take what they can offer you. After your first enlistment, if you desire to reenlist, you can always apply for a latmove into the intel field. Having already obtained your secret clearance during your first enlistment will be a feather in your cap.

you can still get intel without a TS it would probably have to be METOC but for the other ones a TS is required. One of the reasons as well they might not want to process it for you is because if you arent 100% gonna pass it then why bother processing the SF-86 for you.

The main point here is not the fact that it was when you were young, or the severity of the fraud. It's a matter of Integrity.

I'm in the 2600 Field Signals Intelligence/Ground Electronic Warfare. They don't like us to give out our full MOS...

I had a buddy from my boot camp platoon in school get caught for putting some gear ties in his picket and forgot to pay for them. His clearance was fully revoked and MOS was changed.

Another Marine just had his clearance revoked because they found out his DAD was born in Greece. Nothing he even did.

These seem like little things, but as someone in an MOS that holds TS clearances, Integrity is a focal point and if there is any doubt, then they will not give you one.

Also if you get the Intel Contract, you could still very well get the 2600 field instead of an 0200 field.

Thread Information