IWO vet's recent passing - what to do with IWO/Marine collection
Create Post

IWO vet's recent passing - what to do with IWO/Marine collection

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum but I'm wondering if any of you know the best way to handle this situation: As some of you may have heard, Menard "Bull" Brouillette, a veteran of IWO JIMA & Korea & recipient of 2 purple hearts, recently passed away (on 9/22/13) at 87 years old. He is survived by his son and daughter. His daughter is a permanently disabled adult who has resided in a full-time care facility since her childhood (over 50 years ago). We are needing to liquidate his estate in order to provide for her long term care now that Bull has passed. He had an innumerable amount of Marine & IWO collectible items (many of which were original) - we are trying to determine if there are people looking for these types of things so we can avoid "discarding" these important pieces of history and use the proceeds to care for his daughter. Do any of you know of any resources we can look into to facilitate the sale of these items? Items include original photos, Spearhead documents, articles, clothing, flags, books, tokens taken from Japan, memorabilia, etc.

Similar Threads:

His son doesn't want any of that? That's a pretty awful thing to give up, but I guess when money is tight.

I'd probably contact the National Museum of the Marine Corps, no idea if they will buy any of it. I'd probably try to keep it together and off ebay. There is no family that will "buy" it or anything?

Try this guy too. He's some rich dude who's hobby has resulted in him amassing the largest private WWII collection. He may buy it off you. He gives arranged tours of the museum so people who will have an opportunity to share in and appreciate the history of what "Bull" was a part of.
    http://www.museumofworldwarii.com/

Whatever you'd do I'd look for known bonified private collectors so that these important pieces of history are not lost.

Good luck

Mike

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Good job crazymjb... SF...

In the questions section of that second link there are links to other collectors and appraisers. You gotta do what you gotta do, but I'd urge you to make sure these pieces find a good home. If I wasn't a broke college student who sinks my money into guns I'd probably buy some of it.

Mike

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Please do not do anything in haste.
    The best thing to do is to consult with an Attorney.
    Most will speak with you free of charge and give some advice.

IMHO, I would call your local Veterans Service Organizations like the DAV, VFW, AMVETS, etc. Their network is huge and so are their hearts.

Best of luck and sorry for your loss.

Thank you for your replies. A few items will be kept by the family but there is just too much to keep. And yes, we want to be sure the items find a home where they will be valued - which is why we've have been scouring for resources. Bull's birthday was the same as the Marine's (Nov 10th) and he had immeasurable pride for what he was a part of. We want to be sure his daughter is taken care of and at the same time that his collection is valued in its new home. We will definitely be looking into your suggestions - thank you!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your welcome and welcome to the forum.

One more organization that might be worth contacting (I think Rocky's suggestion of Veterans' groups is great) is the Pacific Historic Parks branch of the Nat'l Park Service - http://pacifichistoricparks.org/

They run the facilities at Pearl, Guam and Saipan (I was able to visit HI last year, and Pearl Harbor is not to be skipped!), so might have contacts with people or groups who keep memories of Iwo and the other Pacific campaigns going.

Just a thought...

Something to consider if none of the museums take it as asking some people here if they are interested. I'm a history buff, for example, and I'm sure many other members here are. A flag captured from Japanese forces would be awesome for example. That said, I'd check the values first.

Mike

Thread Information