need help deciding on an mos
Create Post

need help deciding on an mos

I am currently a senior in high school and am not technically a poolee yet but have decided I want to be a Marine and have been talking to a recruiter. My reason I haven't signed any paperwork yet is because I don't know what mos I want yet. It is coming down to infantry, something aviation (probably enlisted aircrew) or intelligence. I know picking an mos is mostly on me and my personal likes and what I qualify for, but I have an open mind and no experience with these jobs so I just want to know which of these moss' is better I guess. As far as qualifying goes, I have taken the ASVAB but I haven't got my scores back yet, but I feel I did pretty well and I am not color blind and have no criminal record or medical issues.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    IMHO.

Go Intel if you can.
    You'll be glad you did in the Marine Corps and later on in the private sector $$$$$

Best of luck to you.

If you're thinking about job skills after the USMC that eliminates the infantry. Both aviation and intel civilian jobs pay well and you'll be highly trained/experienced with the required security clearances/certifications civilian contractors require.

Aviation limits the places you can be assigned (basically air stations, Wing units, or Naval ships carrying air squadrons). Most of your work day would be inside a hangar or on the flightline. Very few aviation jobs are 8 to 5 - most require you to keep the aircraft up and operational; if that means a 12 hour day so be it.

Intel opens up assignment possibilities to all those places plus infantry and noninfantry units/bases (you can go to a lot more places). Many intel jobs starting out at the squadron or battalion level (and sometimes even higher) means you'll be spending your shift inside a windowless secured compartment called a SCIF where classified information is stored/protected. Some people prefer not to be cooped up like that all day.

Let us know what you decide.

both of those are good answers and helpful and I will let yall know when I decide, but first I have to get my ASVAB scores back to see if I qualify. So at least a couple weeks. But once again those are the answers I was looking for.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We are here to help.
    Best of luck on those scores.

Thread Information