Best place to retire
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best place to retire

Whats the best country / state to retire in. No wrong answers here.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In the World as listed by Forbes magazine.

Best place in the World to Retire on About $1,000 Month.

#1: International Life in Asia

Penang, Malaysia

With income from abroad tax-free, Malaysia is quickly become a retirement hotspot for foreigners who are looking for a destination that’s cultural, and yet away from the rat race. With accessible transportation and a nearby quality hospital, Penang embraces all that is modern while staying true to its roots. While housing is somewhat more expensive (about $800 a month), this exotic island more than makes up for it in everyday natural beauty and charm.

Last edited by Rocky C; 10-25-13 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Best Place in the World to Retire on About $1,000 Month.

#1: International Life in Asia

Penang, Malaysia

With income from abroad tax-free, Malaysia is quickly become a retirement hotspot for foreigners who are looking for a destination that’s cultural, and yet away from the rat race. With accessible transportation and a nearby quality hospital, Penang embraces all that is modern while staying true to its roots. While housing is somewhat more expensive (about $800 a month), this exotic island more than makes up for it in everyday natural beauty and charm.
    haha,, been there brother, it is a great place alright,,

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

In the US as listed by Forbes magazine.

1. Durham, NC

Population: 223,284
    % over 50: 25%
    Median home price: $163,000
    State income tax: 7.75%*
    Where to take classes: Duke University

Durham would rank as a retiree Mecca even without Duke University's stellar lifelong-learning program. Residents enjoy four seasons -- but without them being too extreme. Homes are affordable, the area is dotted with golf courses and parkland, and the region is home to a renowned university medical center.

This former tobacco town also is a budding cultural haven. Duke's Nasher Museum of Art has a growing contemporary art collection. Concerts and Broadway hits, such as Billy Elliot and the Lion King, frequently make their way to the newly built 2,800-seat Durham Performing Arts Center.

Duke's 33-year-old senior learning program is one of the largest in the country, with more than 1,500 members. There are 100-plus courses offered every term, covering topics from Introduction to China to Alexander the Great. Plus, because most courses are offered on campus, members can mix with the younger generation in the student center, libraries, and dining halls.

Last edited by Rocky C; 10-25-13 at 10:51 AM.

Pattaya Beach, Thailand. About $125 US Dollars a month for a nice studio apartment...about $300 for a small house.

Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. My wife and I have a few years yet, but we're looking at mid-sized towns in NC, maybe TX (the hill country outside Austin). Good climate, lower taxes and cost of everything than we have now (Maryland), and much better politics for our taste.

Take a look at Idaho...low cost of living, plus all the hunting and fishing you could ever want.

I'd be fine with Idaho - most any of the Rocky Mt states, actually. My wife needs shorter winters, though, so we'll head south eventually.

Now, a cabin to go to up in the foothills someplace, or higher up, mmm... THAT would be nice!

You might surprised...Boise has a moderate climate...really mild winters...we're down here in a valley along the Boise river. Summers can be brutal though...lots of days where temps are over a hundred! It was 108 here last summer the week of 4th of July...I was on horseback that week and neither me or the horse were having much fun in that heat!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We live in Southern Az now but are moving Up to The Rim...World Class Hunting can always Kic It too Utah Colo or New Mex Cali Nev! VA System is 1/2 A$$ but I'm do for Medicare in about 2 years...So I shall just SandBag it till then...GoodLuck and Enjoy cause You Owe it 2yourself Go Easy Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Bora-Bora, beautiful beach's,
    white sands,
    clear blue water,
    if you've got American retiremnt dollars to shove in the bank
    and not worry about it,
    then I highly suggest this as a final resting place,
    fish for your dinner,
    work on your tan,
    do the old lady,
    does that song
    "all night long" come to mind,
    ohhh yeahhhh,
    Oooo-Rahhh mo fo, fo shure....

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post

In the US as listed by Forbes magazine.

1. Durham, NC

Population: 223,284
    % over 50: 25%
    Median home price: $163,000
    State income tax: 7.75%*
    Where to take classes: Duke University

Durham would rank as a retiree Mecca even without Duke University's stellar lifelong-learning program. Residents enjoy four seasons -- but without them being too extreme. Homes are affordable, the area is dotted with golf courses and parkland, and the region is home to a renowned university medical center.

This former tobacco town also is a budding cultural haven. Duke's Nasher Museum of Art has a growing contemporary art collection. Concerts and Broadway hits, such as Billy Elliot and the Lion King, frequently make their way to the newly built 2,800-seat Durham Performing Arts Center.

Duke's 33-year-old senior learning program is one of the largest in the country, with more than 1,500 members. There are 100-plus courses offered every term, covering topics from Introduction to China to Alexander the Great. Plus, because most courses are offered on campus, members can mix with the younger generation in the student center, libraries, and dining halls.
    The wife and I already have a house there will moving into it in about 2 years till then our Oldest boy who helped gut and remodel it lives in the upstairs we will live in the basement house

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. My wife and I have a few years yet, but we're looking at mid-sized towns in NC, maybe TX (the hill country outside Austin). Good climate, lower taxes and cost of everything than we have now (Maryland), and much better politics for our taste.
    I raised my family, most of them anyway, in the Texas Hill Country. 40 miles from Austin. I've been all over the Country and have never been anywhere that gets even close to it in beauty.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No. 1: Alaska

State income tax: None
    State sales tax: None
    Estate tax/inheritance tax: no/no

The Last Frontier is a tax haven for retirees who don't mind long winters and an occasional encounter with a bear. Alaskans pay no state income tax.

In addition, the state sends all permanent residents an annual dividend check from the state's oil wealth savings account. The 2012 payment was $878 (the 2013 dividend will be announced in September).

The state doesn't have a sales tax. However, 104 municipalities impose local sales taxes of up to 7 percent. The statewide average is 1.69 percent, according to the Tax Foundation, a nonprofit organization in Washington, D.C.

While Alaska taxes real estate, homeowners 65 and older, or surviving spouses 60 and older, are exempt from municipal taxes on the first $150,000 of the assessed value of their property.

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    haha,, been there brother, it is a great place alright,,
    No thanks. Never been to Malysia but don't want anything to do with a place where the majority of the population is muslim.

Thread Information