Switching MOS After Recruit Training
Create Post

Switching MOS After Recruit Training

Hey everyone.

I have a question in regards to the ability to switch your MOS after finishing Recruit Training. I am entering the Corps as a non US citizen (I am a U.K citizen). Due to my status as a greencard holder I was barred from choosing many of the MOS's that I would have liked to get (Intelligence, MP, Nuclear/Biological, etc.). I understand why that is, and thus have no real issue with choosing a different set of choices (looking into Aviation MOS at the moment). Yet I was just curious as to what the procedure was for switching into a different MOS, if I still feel compelled to after I complete basic training ( Boot Camp ). Or if switching is even a viable option. Thankfully I will be taking my citizenship test during the final week of training, and will swear in as a citizen the day before graduating Basic ( Boot Camp ). So the issue of my citizenship should no longer be an issue as long as I pass the test.

I did search through the forums, but couldn't find anything specific to this. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Thank you for your time and help!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 08-27-13 at 07:40 AM.

Sorry, can't help you. Don't know if any of us here can. Have you discussed this with your recruiter?

We talked about it a little. Unfortunately my case is so specific they aren't really that sure either. Really I'm pretty sure moving MOS's would be more hassle than it was worth, I was just curious as to if there was a commonly known procedure for switching, and how soon you could do it. i.e if you had to wait till after completing your specific MOS training or if you could apply to move right after Recruit Training. I understand this is a very specific case, and probably not a well known thing, but thought I might as well ask.

Thanks again for the help.

I think the only ways you are going to be able to move is if you re enlist. You can lat move after 2 years but they are likely to deny you if it's your first enlistment as far as I know.

Okay, I was thinking re-enlistment was a probable outcome, as they would want me to spend some serious time in the MOS I had originally chosen.

Thanks!

The Marine Corps is HIGHLY interested in creating Marines with almost any/all skill sets as possible and encourages Marines to step outside of their box and lateral move to another MOS.

Out of recruit training however.. No, will not happen.
    Lateral moves are generally a reenlistment incentive. It is HIGHLY rare and almost impossible to lateral move while on a current contract. It does happen once in a blue moon.. However, that is all based on the current needs of the Marine Corps once you make such a request, as well as how good of a Marine you are..

I assumed as much. Thank you though for clarifying that, at least this way I can focus on whatever MOS I end up in, and put my full effort into it rather than pining after some far fetched "perfect" job. Of course any job is a good job, the main point is to earn the Title!

(Also thanks to whomever corrected my usage of "Basic Training" will keep that in mind in the future!)

Thank again everyone for the help!

Well, if you make a full career out of it, odds are you'll end up holding 2-3 different MOS's throughout your time in.

Yeah, I have yet to figure out if I'm going to make a life time career of the Corps. But I can't really make that call until I've gone through training and I'm living the life of a Marine. I guess once I get to the point where I'm looking to reenlist then I can figure out of I want to make a lat move or not. Obviously it also depends on the needs of the Corps, which come first.

Thanks again, seriously this has helped ease my mind about this issue!

Most Marines decide not to reenlist for a variety of reasons. Some of those who want to reenlist are not allowed to for whatever reason (even those with outstanding records are turned down at times). That leaves a small minority who request reenlistment and are approved. To make a career (depending on contract lengths) that would have to happen 4-5 times. Certainly, a career in the USMC today is a moving target that's picking up speed - some hit it but most miss.

Thread Information