How to promote during boot camp
Create Post

Question How to promote during boot camp

I leave on August 26th to MCRD San Diego. I feel motivated, so much that I learned all of my general orders, Marine Corps Leadership Traits, USMC weapons knowledge, immediate action, remedial action, 3 weapons carries, 4 safety rules and 4 weapons conditions.

IST: 15 pull ups all 100 crunches but my run time is trash at 11:12.
    I already know how to respond to a DI and his commands such as "THIS RECRUIT" "THESE RECRUITS" "THAT RECRUIT" "THOSE RECRUITS" "AY AY SIR" "YES SIR" and "NO SIR" I'm a pretty big kid at 6' 195lbs and I've improved my run time from 14:12 to 11:12. I really don't want to come out of San Diego a private boot. I'm shooting for PFC though I'd love to be the Guide and become Lance Corporal.

Im just asking what are the best ways to become at least a squad leader to promote.

I get told by so many people to just lay low at boot camp by keeping my mouth shut. Which is true to a certain degree. I know to shut up and listen but all of these Marines are telling me to just get by. That's not my type to just lay down. I want to be the best and help the man next to me.

Thank you for your time.

Similar Threads:

When you are with your boot camp platoon, the Drill Instructors will ask for volunteers for all the available posistions. Those who step up will be selected, such as the Squad Leaders and Guide. Well, step up! After that be squared away the rest of the time you are there and you should be fine. Listen to the Drill Instructors 100% of the time and actually follow everything they say. That is about all you can do.

By the way, "laying low" is by far the worst advice anyone can offer you. The Marine Corps is all about taking charge and leading. If you cannot perform at such a capacity then odds are you will end your contract as a disgruntled LCpl with a bad attitude towards the Marine Corps.

Do not have an opinion in boot camp, the Drill Instructors are ALWAYS right, however when the time is right step up and take charge. The Drill Instructors will teach you how. It is sad to see recruits too scared to step up because they do not want to stand out. However, they are the ones who will not receive that meritorious promotion out of boot camp.

Nothing wrong with your attitude - in order to be the best, you have to want to be the best. Those jobs like guide and squad leader are leadership positions. Recruits demonstrating the most leadership will be placed in those positions. Does leadership always mean the loudest and strongest/fastest? Not always (although in bootcamp this is normally the case). You will see the recruits in your platoon with leadership positions get fired often - it happens for a variety of reasons (sometimes solely based on the DI's mood that day). The guide in 1st phase may not be the guide on graduation day.

You say you learned the leadership traits but it takes more than just being able to list them. Do you understand what each one means and how to demonstrate each one (how do you demonstrate integrity for instance). Talk to your recruiters about how you can demonstrate leadership in bootcamp. Understanding what leadership is and then actually putting it into practice are two different things - some people are better at it than others obviously. Are you one of the leaders in your DEP? If not, what makes you think you can all of a sudden become a good leader at MCRD?

Wanting to get promoted quickly is admirable and understandable (bigger paycheck). However, don't forget that more stripes equals more responsibility. You may "think" hitting the fleet as a LCpl would be cool until you're put in charge of Marines who have been in for a year or two and and actually KNOW their job (while the boot LCPl is still learning). Being promoted too quickly is not always the best option. Sometimes, it's better to get promoted to the next rank when you're actually ready. Be careful what you ask for - you may just get it some day.

Thank you Corporal for your time. I appreciate it and I will use your advice to its fullest in just a short 14 days

-C Terranova

Thank you Master Sergeant for your reply. I agree with your advice but me being promoted for a pay grade is not the reason. I'm just wanting to make an impact on the Corps by doing my best to better myself and help anyone in need.

Once again thank you

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    unless you are already a contract PFC, you have no shot at Lance Corporal even if you are company honor man.

I appreciate your reply Corporal. Whatever happens, happens. Knowing that isn't going to stop me from doing my best.

-C Terranova

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I commend your motivation, I don't know you in real life but I will just say to watch yourself and your actions relating to this when you do get to boot camp and hit the fleet. You can and be will ostracized real quick by your leaders/NCOs if you step up too much, too quick, too soon and end up stepping on others toes.

You have to learn to follow before you can lead.

Quote Originally Posted by CJT13 View Post
    I appreciate your reply Corporal. Whatever happens, happens. Knowing that isn't going to stop me from doing my best.

-C Terranova
    Doing your best is what's expected of you in bootcamp and the fleet. Only person who can stop you from doing your best is yourself.

I agree once again. Though somebody needs to step up and be a leader in boot camp. Boot camp is what's next and that's all that is on my mind right now.

For the next 5 years. Whatever the Corps needs me to do. I'm there with the man next to me. Maybe I'll make a career but boot camp is the only thing on my mind right now.

Thread Information