Recruit Mom... First Letter From Parris Island - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Received my second letter today... He said he was sorry for the first letter. This letter was upbeat and talking about graduation. He said the DI'S did not pick on him much and that he had lost his voice from screaming, the pt was not bad at all. He still missed us and had his head out of his azz now... Like many of you this kid just graduated high school and never been away from home.. Im so happy that this letter was a good one... Fingers crossed for the next.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I told you so.
    They will get better and better as the weeks go on.
    When you write back just positive things in the letter.

Keep us posted...

Can't wait to read your impressions of your son AFTER recruit graduation.

Credits
    Savings
    YAHBUTTTTTT....

There's gonna be days when the platoon screws UP....

Errrrrr.
    Rather,, the whole platoon pays for somebodys screwup.....

IT evens out....HE/THEY learn teamwork,, Sooner or later....

The name of the game is together. We were doing squat thrusts once, we were on 763 on our way to 1,000 when 1 of our DI's saw a recruit miss 1....... So the next number was 1, then 2 etc.

My mom saved my first letter to her from boot camp. The first line said "Get me the HELL out of here!" But it was the best thing I ever have done.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are so lucky to have that.
    My Mom saved a box of all my letters.
    When she passed away one of my 3 sisters took it.

All these years later no one will give up the 411 on it.

A special day and year is what I'm hoping for.

Priceless...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Where do these Brave Young Americans come from GodBless Em All Walk Tall Semper Fi

Rocky....my dad saved all of my letters that I wrote to him as well as I saved every letter that was written to me. When he passed away 8 years ago, I read all the letters that my dad and I wrote to each other. Needless to say, I cried my heart out. Those letters me more to me than I can ever explain......they are priceless!
    I do hope that someday soon your sister gives you your letters back.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Click image for larger version

Name:	550609_10151071581375877_658021868_n.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	25502Don't know how it is today, but many of us called these home for a while in boot-camp. We spent many hours on our hands and knees, scrubing those concrete floors with water and Listerine. Not so today....I don't think.

Slowly your son will figure out boot camp. You have up to 80 individuals who must be stripped back to their roots and rebuilt into a team of Marines. The DIs do this by uniting these people against a common foe...namely the DI. About a third of the way through boot camp....the platoon will be doing things just to prove to the mouthy DI who is telling them they can't do it....that they can. Later....they will start doing things through pride. They will see the new recruits walking in....and hear the DI says things like....Hippity Hop...Mob Stop due to the shuffling and horrible appearance of what they think is matching in formation...and realize how much they changed since they were that mob.

When your son returns home after earning his EGA....you will find a man has replaced the child you remember.

Oh...and Mongoose...yeah...I lived in those cussed Quonset huts as well. What wonderful memories...ROFLMAO.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Me too Lisa .

Quonset huts were gone when I got there in 72. We had 3-story squadbays with showers/heads and the DI hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Quonset huts were gone when I got there in 72. We had 3-story squadbays with showers/heads and the DI hut.
    They were there in 74, we stayed in them for awhile after returning from rifle range, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa 23 View Post
    Rocky....my dad saved all of my letters that I wrote to him as well as I saved every letter that was written to me. When he passed away 8 years ago, I read all the letters that my dad and I wrote to each other. Needless to say, I cried my heart out. Those letters me more to me than I can ever explain......they are priceless!
    I do hope that someday soon your sister gives you your letters back.
    Got all my letters I wrote to my parents, the memories time sure flies, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information