MARSOC's role in post A-stan
Create Post

MARSOC's role in post A-stan

Hello All!

Been a while since I posted. Hope the Leatherneck family has been doing well and fine.

If I may, I would like to ask a question about MARSOC, and The Corps in general.

With our current presence in A-stan dwindiling down, will MARSOC still be seeing deployments overseas (or any MOS, in this instance)?

I ask, as I would love to have the privilege of serving in the military after college (studying M.E., but would like to go Enlisted). Yet, I would like to see deployments, particularly in a conflict zone.

This isnt so I can brag or be a numbskull about it. Im not looking for glory or prestige, or doing it just to say I did it. I know war is an ugly business, which is why I would like to be a part of it, as I would love for the opportunity to serve downrange with America's finest men and women.

Which is why I bring up MARSOC. I know many threads here covered its reqs and unit, but I would like to ask about its role in the next coming years, as from what I heard if anyone in the Corps will be doing any high speed stuff, it would be those guys, and not conventional forces (e.g. 0311).

Im not asking about it, because Im one of those video gamers who just want to be special this or special that. I sincerely ask, because my impression (im just a civilian puke, so please call me out on my ignorance) is that these would be the guys who are still deploying over there, and perhaps other low intensity conflicts.

While we are on this subject, does anyone have an idea on what MARSOC (particullary MSOR's) role is going to be in general. It is my impression that these guys will be SOCOM assest, as opposed to just purely Corps assets, and that CSO's can now stay they permanently, as opposed to being rolled out to the fleet after 5 years, like in its early years.
    But what I would humbly like to know is what will there mission focus be? is it still being decided upon by the brass? Will they be DA, or Recce, or FID? I heard that they are opting to cross train with Green Berets now, as opposed to SEALs, inorder to garned FID and culture skills.

Also, I honestly am not looking at MARSOC for prestige, or brand, or title or name. If someone were to tell me that cooks or logistics would be the MOS to go if it gave me the highest chance of seeing combat, than I would opt for the privilege of that. If someone were to tell me that the Corps was making a new MOS that consisted of picking up dog crap by hand for 14 hours a day, and that MOS would give me the best shot at deployment/downrage/seeing combat, I would opt for that.

Honestly, all I would like is to serve and deploy/see combat. I would hate for all the taxpayer money(which I imagine is a whole lot, as Marines make the best) to go to waste, and just stay stateside. I want to return this countrys investment in me (not just military, but the public schooling, clubs, etc).

I know looking to do this, just so I can go to bars or my hometown, and act like a total tool, talking about how many kills I got while blind-folded riding a unicycle while juggling flaming chainsaws. I just want to achieve all I can in the Corps.

Anyway, Thank you for the time for reading this long question, and a Big thanks to Leatherneck for allowing me to access this forum to post this question on.

Drew

Similar Threads:

Also, I know its important to focus on the 50m target and not 300m target, but I would just like to have a general idea of how to steer my life. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by AIMSP View Post
    With our current presence in A-stan dwindiling down, will MARSOC still be seeing deployments overseas (or any MOS, in this instance)?
    You'll make a good Officer someday as you are very long winded. Word of advice for down the road is to condense what you want to say or people will turn you off.

But to answer your question:

I think it's safe to say they will. Astan is not a primary focus right now any way. There are numerous hot spots all over the world where their skills are needed. I have no first hand info but from watching the news I'd say they have been working in multiple area's for a while now.

Good luck, talk is cheap, make it happen.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No telling not knowing.
    They will go where they are needed.

First step, earn the " Title "...

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Blanket Party

You ever been 2 a Blanket Party College Boy ?

The way I see it, MARSOC will remain a SOCOM asset. As long as we are fighting the war on terrorism, there will be MARSOC missions (we just never hear about them). The USMC itself is pivoting toward the Pacific rim and getting back to our expeditionary roots (leaving landlocked conflicts to the Army hopefully).

To make it to a MARSOC unit, you must first get an infantry contract which is not an easy thing to do (because there are more poolees wanting one than there are to go around). They do have radio operators (communicators) and armorers (maybe something else I don't know about).

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    To make it to a MARSOC unit, you must first get an infantry contract which is not an easy thing to do..
    Sorry MSgt, but that's not true. It may have changed recently, but although an infantry contract would most likely benefit you with your package, to become a Critical Skills Operator (CSO), the most recent order states (MARADMIN 280/13):

6. ANY MOS, E-4 TO E-5. SERGEANTS WITH MORE THAN 1 YEAR TIME IN GRADE ARE INELIGIBLE TO APPLY. THERE ARE NO RANK WAIVERS.

I didn't mean to hijack an old thread, but I was doing some research and came across this thread. Felt like it would be better to update it rather than someone else make a new one down the road.

But to add to it, there's a few articles that the Marine Corps Times posted this year stating that MARSOC is actually looking to increase it's numbers toward the 4,000 mark by 2016. They also recently had one of the largest classes graduate from the actual 7 month ITC course.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreed025 View Post
    Sorry MSgt, but that's not true. It may have changed recently, but although an infantry contract would most likely benefit you with your package, to become a Critical Skills Operator (CSO), the most recent order states (MARADMIN 280/13):

6. ANY MOS, E-4 TO E-5. SERGEANTS WITH MORE THAN 1 YEAR TIME IN GRADE ARE INELIGIBLE TO APPLY. THERE ARE NO RANK WAIVERS.

I didn't mean to hijack an old thread, but I was doing some research and came across this thread. Felt like it would be better to update it rather than someone else make a new one down the road.

But to add to it, there's a few articles that the Marine Corps Times posted this year stating that MARSOC is actually looking to increase it's numbers toward the 4,000 mark by 2016. They also recently had one of the largest classes graduate from the actual 7 month ITC course.
    No problem - I stand corrected. Being retired, it's hard to stay up with things (I don't get the MC Times). I understand they don't want to rob the infantry of their best but imagine that's where they get the majority of their members from (because of the skill sets).

There is a shortage of Marines trying out for MARSOC Critical Skills Operators right now. The draw down in operations in Afghanistan will allow you to prep yourself for MARSOC mentally and physically. Right now, they are doing FID (Foreign Internal Defense) missions allow over from Afghanistan, to parts of Africa and Philippines just to name a few. They fall under SOCOM, not the USMC (this is why the Marines fought tooth and nail not to be part of SOCOM). They can conduct a variety of special operations missions as well but it takes a special breed to be able to train and enable that group who is friendly to the US to defend themselves without getting too involved.

Thread Information