From ARNG to USMC
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

From ARNG to USMC

Currently served 4 years in the ARNG with 1 deployment,looking to do a dd368 and go USMC...Is the Marines currently doing 368s and how long is the process?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 07-22-13 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Site rules....Marines is always capitalized.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Considering that the Corps isn't even taking her own on 368's, chances of you in the ARNG getting in through it are VERY small. Your best chance at becoming a Marine is to finish out your current enlistment and then enlist when you're free and clear.

That said I will tell you that the process is long and tiresome. That DD368 release has to be approved at a Star/General level which usually takes at least a month or two to go all the way up and be approved. From there you have a small window of time(30 days) to go get re-contracted/enlisted into the Corps or whatever else you are trying to do. Getting a contract signed in that kind of time frame is unheard of.

Good thing josephd knows what a DD368 is cause I sure never heard of it.

Here is another thing to consider as well. If you are planning on going into the Marine Corps Reserve, then your ARNG time will count as 'continued service'. While you will be starting over/new with the Marine Corps Reserves, (if that's your plan), then you will be looked at as someone who has 4 completed years already. Now obviously that's a good thing for retirement purposes however, on the other hand, this can also be a bad thing because it will play into the service limits that are in place for promotion and retention.
    For example, in the SMCR, you have 12 yrs., to make E-6. But with your 4 completed years of service already, that will only give you 8 yrs., to make E-6. And I assume you are on a 6 yr., contract now and if you switch over after completing your enlistment in the ARNG, you will only have 6 yrs., to make it to E-6. And that may not be doable which would effectively 'force you out', of the SMCR.
    Ask me how I know...

And I'm gonna go ahead and assume that your next question might be, don't I get to keep my rank? No, you will not. However, you will probably come in as a contract E-3 though.
    One caveat that I forgot to mention was that you are guaranteed one "look" by the board when it comes time for promotion to E-6. That being said, you will be allowed to stay in service until that time. In the Marine Corps you get two chances at promotion when the time comes but with your case, you will only be given on chance/one look to be promoted. And if you don't make it then of course your out.

Just for general information... you are aware that going from any branch to the Marines means you will go through Marine bootcamp right?

I am sure you will enjoy that...we all did.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for the reply's, I've been in contact with a recruiter in my area...I'll be sending my DD368 through my chain of command to go active duty USMC, as for the drop of rank and starting over, Its well worth it in my eyes to be able to reach my goal of becoming a Marine.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Best of luck to you.
    Keep us posted please.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Good thing josephd knows what a DD368 is cause I sure never heard of it.
    it's a conditional release form Top, to basically get out of your current contract and go to another branch or from reserve to active

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fli View Post
    Thank you all for the reply's, I've been in contact with a recruiter in my area...I'll be sending my DD368 through my chain of command to go active duty USMC, as for the drop of rank and starting over, Its well worth it in my eyes to be able to reach my goal of becoming a Marine.
    I hope you have a Marine recruiter ready, willing, and waiting to work with you to get you contracted, if you don't you will not get re-contracted in the small time frame required to do so.

I am not trying to deter you at all but the chances of this being done is VERY small

Thread Information