Infantry & Pilot - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A little late to the party here, but if you decide going for pilot may still be something you want to do, you'll have to skip the enlistment route entirely and go for it from the start. Don't think that enlisting is a means to that end. I know a lot of people who think enlisting to get experience or enlisting to get respect as an officer are great ideas (and I wouldn't know) that end up getting stuck as enlisted, either because 1) they fall in love with their original MOS 2) they decide that they don't want it anymore 3) it is too competitive to get into MECEP, ECP, etc. Decide which path you want to take and stick to it!

Something else to think about: time from initial paperwork to starting flying took me 3 years and 9 months. My active duty commitment is 8 years at the end of flight school and I have anywhere from 1-2 years left before that commitment starts. It's a huge time commitment, and you really need to want it.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by djj34 View Post
    A little late to the party here, but if you decide going for pilot may still be something you want to do, you'll have to skip the enlistment route entirely and go for it from the start. Don't think that enlisting is a means to that end. I know a lot of people who think enlisting to get experience or enlisting to get respect as an officer are great ideas (and I wouldn't know) that end up getting stuck as enlisted, either because 1) they fall in love with their original MOS 2) they decide that they don't want it anymore 3) it is too competitive to get into MECEP, ECP, etc. Decide which path you want to take and stick to it!

Something else to think about: time from initial paperwork to starting flying took me 3 years and 9 months. My active duty commitment is 8 years at the end of flight school and I have anywhere from 1-2 years left before that commitment starts. It's a huge time commitment, and you really need to want it.
    Thanks for the info djj34. I have decided to skip out on going pilot and go infantry. Main reason is because of the requirements you need to become one. It's not that I'm to scared or not fit to meet them its just what i want to do in the future way down the line becoming a pilot is going to take some time. I didn't realize it could take a 3years and 9month thing to start flying. And the enlistment term is probably another few years as well.

I was wondering if theres things i can prepare for before i go infantry and try to become a SS besides working out?

Also, what do you think be better, go infantry hopefully deploy and then get volunteered from my battalion to join SS or go infantry and right out of SOI volunteer for recon?

You're not eligible for SS school (GT too low). This score is not waiverable. It's possible to retake the ASVAB but Recruiters frown on that because sometimes the score comes back lower than the first one. You can retake the ASVAB once you hit the fleet.

Aren't you a Poolee yet (should be)? If so, send a PM to RockyC and request a status change ASAP. If not; why not?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You're not eligible for SS school (GT too low). This score is not waiverable. It's possible to retake the ASVAB but Recruiters frown on that because sometimes the score comes back lower than the first one. You can retake the ASVAB once you hit the fleet.

Aren't you a Poolee yet (should be)? If so, send a PM to RockyC and request a status change ASAP. If not; why not?

The last time I took the ASVAB was about 2 years ago. I believe my recruiter told me that anything after 2 years you have to retake and anything before 2 years you keep whatever score you have. I have been studying my ass off for this.

I am not a poolee yet, I haven't gone to meps. I'm still waiting on my medical records as well as 1 more character reference. Once I grabed all those documents then the recruiter is going to send my files to the boss.

For someone as ambitious as you appear to be, you sure are dragging this process out. Are you willing to wait months more for an infantry contract if that's what it takes?

Credits
    Savings
    For someone as ambitious as you appear to be, you sure are dragging this process out. Are you willing to wait months more for an infantry contract if that's what it takes?
    I mean by the looks of it with medical records being wavered and character references being checked out I won't be going to boot camp maybe till january-ish. So from now until then gives me time to study, workout, and gather as much needed information before I go. Just so you know even if i just do the 4 year term. All I ever wanted to do in the last few years is become a Marine. So you can say I am pretty ambitious and motivated to join!

Last edited by Lisa 23; 07-31-13 at 10:15 PM.

You have a medical waiver pending? Character references shouldn't take 2+ years (they either say you're a good guy or they don't). Something's not adding up.

Credits
    Savings
    You have a medical waiver pending? Character references shouldn't take 2+ years (they either say you're a good guy or they don't). Something's not adding up.
    There is a story behind this but if i mention it, then it is going to bring a whole new issue when i am tring to stay on one topic.

Bingo! THAT'S the part that's not adding up. No problem - your prerogative to address that issue or not (and none of our business).

Thread Information