Infantry & Pilot
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Infantry & Pilot

At the moment now I'm in the process of getting my paper work processed maybe by Jan I could ship. I want to do infantry but I want something more out of that and was thinking of applying for Scout Sniper.

I also want the opportunity to become a pilot in the marine corp Marine Corps. I have done research about it and I know that I have to become an officer first. I also found out I can go to a college First then do it. But I figure Join the Corp Corps go infantry (while I'm doing my duty) get the proper college necessity to become a officer and once my infantry duty is over go to the process of officer and being a pilot.

Question is can this be done if I decided to do infantry and try to be a SS?

I also turn 21 next month if that means anything.

little off topic but.. when you go to college, can you acquire a bachelors degree from a accredited institution?

Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 07-21-13 at 08:53 AM. Reason: If you want to join OUR Marine Corps, learn how to spell it correctly..........and capitalize the letter I.

Credits
    Savings
    *when you go to college in the Marine Corps is what i meant ask.

Last edited by ChuckH; 07-21-13 at 03:04 PM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    yes becoming a sniper from infantry is a possibility, you better be a PT stud and be a stellar Marine.

yes, a college degree you get while in the Marine Corps is accredited. You pick where you go whether it be online, something offered on base, or at a local school.

Let me say this, you will NOT have the time to complete a degree while serving in the Corps. Especially being infantry. You may get lucky and complete a semester or two, you'll have to finish school somewhere after you get out.

Don't overwhelm yourself with what you want out of the Corps. How about you enlist, get through boot camp, and spend a year in the fleet before you make plans of being the next Commandant.

You're jumping the gun big time here and may want to take it one step at a time. You're not even a poolee yet and don't have an infantry contract; they're nearly impossible to come by these days (as evidenced by the many wannabes who come on here saying they can't get one or are waiting for one and keeping their fingers crossed).

You haven't even started college yet and won't be able to start till after you hit the fleet well after your 21st birthday. At 22, you are not going to complete a bachelor's degree going to school part time (IF that often depending on your deployment status), get commissioned, graduate OCS and TBS, and still be young enough to make it to flight school as a naval aviator (IF you even qualify). I would also like to know if any USMC aviators are former grunts (doubt their bodies could take the punishment and still pass a flight physical; most grunts have back/knee problems from the loads they constanly hump).

I applaud your self confidence and lofty goals but you need a healthy dose of reality. Like josephd said; earn the title FIRST, make it through MCT/SOI, spend some time in the fleet, THEN you'll have a more realistic basis to realign your military goals. Does it even enter into your mind you may discover the USMC is not what you expected and decide to get out (most Marines don't reenlist you know)?

And...learn how to spell Marine Corps. If you aspire to join an outfit, the least you can do is know how to spell it correctly. Geez...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You're jumping the gun big time here and may want to take it one step at a time. You're not even a poolee yet and don't have an infantry contract; they're nearly impossible to come by these days (as evidenced by the many wannabes who come on here saying they can't get one or are waiting for one and keeping their fingers crossed).

You haven't even started college yet and won't be able to start till after you hit the fleet well after your 21st birthday. At 22, you are not going to complete a bachelor's degree going to school part time (IF that often depending on your deployment status), get commissioned, graduate OCS and TBS, and still be young enough to make it to flight school as a naval aviator (IF you even qualify). I would also like to know if any USMC aviators are former grunts (doubt their bodies could take the punishment and still pass a flight physical; most grunts have back/knee problems from the loads they constanly hump).

I applaud your self confidence and lofty goals but you need a healthy dose of reality. Like josephd said; earn the title FIRST, make it through MCT/SOI, spend some time in the fleet, THEN you'll have a more realistic basis to realign your military goals. Does it even enter into your mind you may discover the USMC is not what you expected and decide to get out (most Marines don't reenlist you know)?

And...learn how to spell Marine Corps. If you aspire to join an outfit, the least you can do is know how to spell it correctly. Geez...
    I do see your point. And really do appreciate the info your dropping. Making me see things a little clearer and that's the reason why I wanted to come here and ask for advice. It seems I have 2 Routes I can choose but can't take both. Which brings me to another question. If I did want to just take the route to become a pilot and not infantry, which MOS would be beneficial to become a pilot while I gather the things I need to become an officer? And going to college 'now' getting a degree then joining isn't going to happen.

Oh and my mistake on spelling Marine Corps wrong, I did write this on my phone during work while trying not to get caught. But i will keep a note of that.

If you plan on becoming an Officer in the Marine Corps, try doing some research first......

The process of becoming a Marine pilot is arduous and competitive. Here are some of the hurdles prospective pilots have to clear:

Becoming a Marine Corps Pilot

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin.../usmcpilot.htm

This thread is 2 years old, but has some good info posted.....
    Becoming a pilot for the Marine Corps?

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...he-Marine-Corp

Give up on the pilot route. You will not be qualified for flight school by the time you turn 27. There is simply not enough time to finish college (only going part time) and graduate OCS then TBS all before flight school. I finished both my AA and BS degrees going to school whenever I could on active duty and it took me nearly 8 years (nights and weekends). Plus, you're looking at getting selected for an enlisted commissioning program which is nearly impossible in itself. Let us know what your AFQT score is (you need a 74 or higher to be a flight candidate).

What does your recruiter say about getting an infantry contract?

Credits
    Savings
    Give up on the pilot route. You will not be qualified for flight school by the time you turn 27. There is simply not enough time to finish college (only going part time) and graduate OCS then TBS all before flight school. I finished both my AA and BS degrees going to school whenever I could on active duty and it took me nearly 8 years (nights and weekends). Plus, you're looking at getting selected for an enlisted commissioning program which is nearly impossible in itself. Let us know what your AFQT score is (you need a 74 or higher to be a flight candidate).

What does your recruiter say about getting an infantry contract?
    Yeah you are absolutely right. I've decided that being a pilot isn't just going to happen. With the schooling and the fact that I got to be a officer FIRST then try to apply for pilot, yeah just isn't happening just gonna face facts.

My recruiter said I have a good chance of having a infantry contract although they are cutting back but he's really working with me and says he'll save me a spot when the time comes.

Now I don't know if i should make another thread but now I want to try and go 100% to become a Scout Sniper. I know the "requirements" to become a SS, I did google it. I just want to know, what can I learn now to help me become one? I understand "math" is involved but what kind of math and if theres a certain book that i could get that would be great. Just looking for more info that'll help me at least become a SS. Thanks!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csteven413 View Post
    Now I don't know if i should make another thread but now I want to try and go 100% to become a Scout Sniper. I know the "requirements" to become a SS, I did google it. I just want to know, what can I learn now to help me become one? I understand "math" is involved but what kind of math and if theres a certain book that i could get that would be great. Just looking for more info that'll help me at least become a SS. Thanks!
    nothing...you need to be a PT stud more than anything. Everything you will need to know about being a SS will be taught to you and it is actually better that you don't do anything on your own so that you don't learn or start bad habits.

how about you worry about being a good infantryman/rifleman first, if your not this you'll have no shot at going to SS school

First thing you have to do is take the ASVAB and get a GT score of at least 100. Next, you have to get that infantry contract (not an easy thing to do regardless of what your recruiter tells you).

Have you taken an IST yet? You have to have a 1st class PFT score to qualify for SS school. You also have to be an expert rifle shooter.

How is your swimming? You must be an excellent swimmer and be able to tread water holding a weight above your head (besides swimming long distances).

You must be a LCpl to volunteer for SS school. This means you'll have to spend a couple years in the fleet as a grunt and will put you around 24-25 depending on how fast you can pick up rank. The other LCpl's you'll be competing against for a seat at SS school will be 19-20 year-olds.

The math involved has to do with land navigation, plotting distances for rifle shots, calling in supporting fires, etc. Since you're solving for a problem, I would say algebra is highly important.

Go take your ASVAB test at MEPS. If you don't get a GT score of at least 100, none of the other stuff matters. Let us know how you do. Good luck.

Don't know why that duplicate showed up...sorry. Rocky or Lisa if you can delete it I would appreciate it.

Credits
    Savings
    First thing you have to do is take the ASVAB and get a GT score of at least 100. Next, you have to get that infantry contract (not an easy thing to do regardless of what your recruiter tells you).

Have you taken an IST yet? You have to have a 1st class PFT score to qualify for SS school. You also have to be an expert rifle shooter.

How is your swimming? You must be an excellent swimmer and be able to tread water holding a weight above your head (besides swimming long distances).

You must be a LCpl to volunteer for SS school. This means you'll have to spend a couple years in the fleet as a grunt and will put you around 24-25 depending on how fast you can pick up rank. The other LCpl's you'll be competing against for a seat at SS school will be 19-20 year-olds.

The math involved has to do with land navigation, plotting distances for rifle shots, calling in supporting fires, etc. Since you're solving for a problem, I would say algebra is highly important.

Go take your ASVAB test at MEPS. If you don't get a GT score of at least 100, none of the other stuff matters. Let us know how you do. Good luck.
    I took the ASVAB before and i believe i scored a 95 or 98, something in the 90s i know it wasn't 100 though. I am however study almost every single night with 2 different ASVAB books to better knowledge myself. I just hope i get it, i really don't know what else ill do if i dont get it.

My IST is great. I am currently doing 18+ *deadhang pullups. I finish the 1.5mile in 9:30? something like that. and 100+ crunches. Im 20 of age (turn21 next month) 5'9 and weigh 145

Hows my swimming? I really can't tell you on a scale except the fact that i can swim(if that makes any sense). I never did any competition but i can hold myself up. I do have a swimming pool in my yard guess ill just swim laps in circle.

I am good at math and the knowledge im getting from the ASVAB books are good for refreshing. But do appreciate the heads up on this. But another question comes to mind...

My vision is quite terrible and need do require to wear contacts or glasses. Now, i might not leave until maybe april if not (hopefully) earlier but if i can scrap up the money for Laser-Eye Surgery before I dep in or when i do dep in and waiting for ship do you think it might cause a stir of problems for me to get in or do you think it can actually be beneficial for me if i do get it? Also, is it possible to get Lcpl in 1-2years, instead of 3-4?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Also, is it possible to get Lcpl in 1-2years, instead of 3-4?
    You will pick up LCpl within a year but you will still be considered a "boot" until after you've done a deployment of some sort. At or after that point is when you'll be considered a "Senior Lance Corporal" and will rate to start looking into specialty schools/MOSs like that. The Marine Corps isnt going to invest the time and money in you when you haven't fulfilled any of your contract yet when your fresh to the fleet.

Again, why don't you worry about getting an infantry contract, get to and graduate boot camp, getting through SOI/ITB, and get to your unit. From there you'll learn the ropes of being a Marine infantryman. One step at a time there motivator

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    You will pick up LCpl within a year but you will still be considered a "boot" until after you've done a deployment of some sort. At or after that point is when you'll be considered a "Senior Lance Corporal" and will rate to start looking into specialty schools/MOSs like that. The Marine Corps isnt going to invest the time and money in you when you haven't fulfilled any of your contract yet when your fresh to the fleet.

Again, why don't you worry about getting an infantry contract, get to and graduate boot camp, getting through SOI/ITB, and get to your unit. From there you'll learn the ropes of being a Marine infantryman. One step at a time there motivator
    Oh ok, so gotta prove yourself while you are a LCpl to be considered for something higher within the position, gotcha.

Also, joesphd i do understand what your tring to imply. I need to become a MARINE first. I understand but i am the type of person who likes to think things through first. I am a very organized person and like to keep things in order and have a CLEAR understanding on what im getting my self into. Think about as if im in a situation where if i woulda done something 1 year ago my chances for THIS would be a lot greater if i only knew what i was doing. It's all for a reason but i will try and focus more on becoming then seeing it as i already became.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Also, joesphd i do understand what your tring to imply. I need to become a MARINE first. I understand but i am the type of person who likes to think things through first. I am a very organized person and like to keep things in order and have a CLEAR understanding on what im getting my self into. Think about as if im in a situation where if i woulda done something 1 year ago my chances for THIS would be a lot greater if i only knew what i was doing. It's all for a reason but i will try and focus more on becoming then seeing it as i already became.
    trust me brotha, I was the same way as a wannabe and as PFC/LCpl. I joined a little late at the age of 23 so I was ready to take on everything the Corps had to offer. Going on a deployment and seeing the big picture really opened my eyes to taking things on one step at a time. And now that I am an NCO(Cpl soon to be Sgt) the responsibilities start to pile on real quick and can be overwhelming at times.

This is why I say and others will also tell you to take your time with ambitions. It's a snowball effect especially once you pick up a little rank, the more responsibility you take on the more will get piled on you to test to see what your capable of. As a new PFC/LCpl. this is NOT something you will want, you will screw it up and find yourself further behind than you should be because of it.

Thread Information