Infantry.
Create Post

Thread: Infantry.

Infantry.

Are there any Marines who have been in Infantry in the past 10 years on this website, I'd love it if you can answer a few questions for me. I'm trying to get my last questions asked before I ship, (July 22nd). Yes, I already have my Infantry contract signed, I'm 100% I wanna go Infantry, I just have a few questions. Thanks Marines!

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    So ask...
    What are your questions?

You might see this one a lot. I can't really find an updated answer.
    1) Some things changed within the past 10 years, obviously what do Infantry Marines do on a day to day basis, it might be different today since we will no longer be in Afghanistan in 2014.
    2) I know if natural disasters happen of course we help aid other countries/states, do grunts help out in those types of disasters? Also if its disrespectful to call an infantryman a grunt tell me, because some Marines take pride in being called a grunt so I apologize in advance.
    3) I know they're getting rid of a lot of Infantry battalions, how did this effect you/ did they say they were gonna kick you out? Also if they said they were did they give you the oppurnity to change your MOS?
    4) Kinda off subject on this one. Today, is it hard to change your MOS from 03xx to something else?
    I have researched, I wanna get the answers from a modern day infantryman. If that makes sense. I'm sure these would help a lot of Poolees out also.
    Thank you Marines!

And another quick one, how often do you guys (You have been here long enough to know better. How about Marines.......the Marines here have EARNED the title) do training that lasts for a few weeks/ days, I'm fine with wherever they put me and I'm fine with leaving anytime I'm just wondering. Or do infantrymen not really do training that last a few days/ weeks since the budgets low?

Last edited by Lisa 23; 05-31-13 at 01:35 PM.

I was never a grunt but I do know since they are forward deployed on naval ships, they are the troops used to get to foreign countries needing disaster/humanitarian relief (along with support from aviation, engineers, etc.).

Also know that some training exercises last for days/weeks. It's common for a combined arms exercise (CAX) at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, 29 Palms, CA to last for 2 weeks. The Operation Team Spirit joint training exercise I participated in in South Korea lasted for a couple weeks also.

Generally speaking, changing MOS's is difficult no matter if you're a grunt or something else. The USMC has a lot of money and resources invested in your primary MOS training. For the most part, that would all be wasted and even more money/resources would need to be invested in training for the new MOS. Normally, making a lateral move (changing MOS) is made in conjunction with reenlistment as a reenlistment incentive. The general rule is your primary MOS must be overpopulated and you must be requesting to lat move into an underpopulated MOS (this is one of the tools the USMC uses to balance out the MOS populations). Of course, you must also meet all the eligibility criteria for the new MOS like the GT score from your ASVAB test, a security clearance, etc. I would say lat moves are rare and not something one can plan/count on; that is a "needs of the USMC" situation and has very little to do with what the individual Marine wants.

Credits
    Savings
    "Grasshopper" - Slow down....
    you're so anxious to learn it all before you earn the title..

The biggest changes durring the last ten years has been
    the EQUIPMENT....

Tactics are modified as needed....

the longest journey starts with the first step.
    Enjoy yourself...
    you'll have seen the "ELEPHANT" in no time at all.

Thread Information