Nervous about Boot Camp due to family
Create Post

Nervous about Boot Camp due to family

Hello, I am new to this site and this is actually my first post. I am NOT a Poolee(I am waiting until I graduate to sign), but I am a senior in High School with under 2 weeks remaining and i've also been attending the PT at my recruiters office. I have been letting my mother know about what I want to do for several years now, but she never took me seriously until I started speaking to my recruiter and everything else sometime last year. I shouldn't be getting too personal but my mom had something happen to her back and leg a while back which she used and still uses norcos (a painkiller) to get rid of the pain. She has become somewhat addicted to it over the years (minor addiction) but there have been times where she flat out takes too many to the point of not being able to walk straight or talk without slurring. I am one of two sons, I am the only one who takes care of her while my brother spends his time with his Lil Wayne look-alike girlfriend. I am very afraid of me not being here for her if something bad were to happen, my main concern ofcourse being an overdose. I always wanted to be active duty but now, I am considering the reserves, which I really would rather not do. Is there anyone who can relate (maybe not the exact situation) to being worried about family before boot camp? How did you deal with it? This literally is the hardest decision i've ever had to make and I feel like I have to make my decision based on those around me because I feel I have an obligation to be there for my mom. Any replies would be appreciated, thank you!