First MOS pulled... Looking for another
Create Post

Thumbs up First MOS pulled... Looking for another

I've been in the DEP for a few months now but I just found out that the MOS I originally signed up for as an air traffic controller has been taken from me because I could not get the security clearance for that particular job.

I'm due for bootcamp in 4 weeks so I'm researching and trying to decide what I will do.

I am looking for some advice on other MOS' that maybe only require no clearance or a smaller security clearance that I may still be able to obtain.

I am interested in becoming an EOD eventually when I make rank.

Combat camera also interests me.

I made an 81 on the ASVAB and I'd like to get something that still needs a high score. I don't want to sell myself short

I will be greatful for all and any input and advice.
    Thank you

Similar Threads:

Field Artillery

Why were you not able to get a clearance? If I can recall ATC only requires a secret clearance, and if you were not able to obtain that type of clearance, you will be extreme hard pressed to find a job that you can do. Not to mention you will not be able to deploy without a clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by ritdawg View Post
    Why were you not able to get a clearance? If I can recall ATC only requires a secret clearance, and if you were not able to obtain that type of clearance, you will be extreme hard pressed to find a job that you can do. Not to mention you will not be able to deploy without a clearance.
    when i was 17 i hit an unattended vehicle. i was just learning how to drive a stick and i hit a truck parked a few houses down from mine on my own street infront of my house. i am 24 now and it is very unfortunate that this incident has hindered my career as a marine. i was really upset because it was my dream job that i lost.

Hitting a vehicle should not prohibit you from getting a secret clearance. If there was other reasons for you hitting the vehicle, under age drinking, hit and run, thats a different story. I hold a clearance myself, and have been in a accident that was deemed my fault. There should be more to the story then just you hitting the unattended vehicle.

yes you are right. striking the unattended vehicle and fleeing the scene.

im just worried i wont be able to get any kind of clearance now for any job. i will be meeting a recruiter monday to figure out what i will decide on doing.

When you originally talked to your recruiter did you mention the anything about your hit and run accident? Having that on your record is a huge blow to you and will extremely limit your Marine Corps career (if there is one at all). Biggest thing is did you mention it to the recruiter when you started talking to him. In my honest opinion if you can not get a secret clearance, your chances in the Marines are extremely limited to none.

I know it does not seem fair but if you ever do earn the title and spend anytime in the USMC, you will discover most things you endure will not seem fair. There is a reason security clearances are not easy to obtain and are not just handed out to everyone. Although you were young and immature at the time, the fact you ran from the scene is an indication of your character and poor judgement. It was also poor judgement to be attempting to learn how to drive a stick shift on a residential street with parked vehicles around (most people find a secluded area where you are not going to hit anything). Strong moral character and good judgement are prerequisites for granting someone a final clearance (along with myriad other character traits). The adjudicating authority for your clearance is not convinced your character or judgement has improved to the point you should be entrusted with a final clearance. Your recruiter will have to go over the MOS options still available to you but there won't be many. Take what you can get and be thankful for the opportunity you still have. Let us know how it works out for you.

thanks for the replies. i will be posting what happens with me later this week.

i chose to a logistics Marine.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 03-25-13 at 10:29 PM.

Excellent choice. Good luck.

Thread Information