Waiver and eventual ship date question!
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Waiver and eventual ship date question!

Hello all:

First, I would like to thank those who have dedicated their time to answering the many questions us potential and hopeful recruits have. Also, I'd like to thank you all for serving your country and the sacrifices you and your families have made, for us.

This question is a bit lengthy and will make more sense if I take time to preface it with background information.

After making the decision to enlist in the United States Marine Corps after graduating college in May of 2012 (last year), I began the lengthy process of getting to MEPS, taking my ASVAB, and gathering all the documents necessary to obtain a medical waiver for a left shoulder dislocation during my senior year of high school football (5 years ago). It was a complete dislocation and was placed back on the field. I then went to the hospital, had an X-ray and discovered no ligament tears or separation of any kind had occurred. I received no outpatient care, rehabilitation, or surgeries and have had no problems sense. At MEPS, I completed an Ortho. consult and received his recommendation and the recommendation of one of the physicians at MEPS (not the CMO)for full active duty service. The physician was kind and thought this may increase my chances of obtaining a waiver and speed up the waiver process. I was told it would take between 2 to 6 months for my waiver to clear and that was back in September of 2012 (last year). I have been patient and continued to show motivation and interest through out my enlistment process and I have no problem waiting because medical waivers are not priority. After a recent discussion with my recruiter and the head of the RS, I learned that my waiver documents and those of 3 other potentials was lost by a Sgt. at BUMED and she did not tell her superiors or my recruiting office. Therefore, our documents had to be resubmitted a month ago and we were told it may be another 2 to 3 months until we hear about the fate of our waivers.

Now to my questions. I am beginning to prepare for the unfortunate circumstance that my medical waiver does not clear because if it does not, I do not want to be with out options for my future. Thus, I have begun seeking full-time summer postgraduate research internships at Universities within my state (Virginia). They would be be from early May and end early - August.

1. IF my waiver clears, how long should I expect to wait to ship? I will be seeking an active-duty Infantry contract (I know, so is everyone joining the Corps).

2. Does my waiver have a solid chance of clearing?

I am seeking advice from members of this forum because I have asked these questions to my recruiter (about a week ago) and have not heard a response from him or anyone in the office.

Thank you for any and all responses and I apologize for the length of this post!

Similar Threads:

Nobody here can answer those questions for you. Only the BUMED docs can make the final decision about your waiver and it's impossible to predict what they will say. Likewise, if the waiver is approved, none of us would know how soon you could ship to MCRD. I know you are anxious for this situation to be resolved but you have no option but to continue to be patient (and hope nothing else gets lost). Let us know when you hear something.

Credits
    Savings
    Sir,

Thank you for your response! I assumed that my question's were impossible to answer definitively. I understand each waiver is specific to a given individuals situation and BUMEDs take as long as they take and that there are many layers of command that must pass through.

Also, it is my understanding that BUMEDs for shoulder injuries are rarely approved but I am hoping that a strong academic record, both in high school and college, a relatively high ASVAB score (76), my level of physical fitness, and no criminal history will increase my chances for obtaining a waiver.

I will certainly let yourself and the other members of this informational forum know if I hear anything.

If anyone can offer any other advice or share a similar waiver experience, I would greatly appreciate it!

Tennessee Top, thank you again, Sir!

Credits
    Savings
    Marines:

I apologize in advance for re-posting in my own thread with a different question. However, I did not feel it necessary to take-up space in the forums with another question.

When I began the journey of becoming a Marine, I first talked with an OSO. I was a second-year college student and at the time, my father and grandfather wanted me to pursue an Officer route before an Enlistment route. Out of respect for my elders and their military service and decorated service records, I did so. I preface this question with that story because I have had three recruiters since this time, including my OSO.

When I was in my second-year, I came home on break. I went out with friends....you get the picture. I was arrested for underage consumption of alcohol. I was 20 years of age at the time (currently 22). Now, I have disclosed this information to each and every recruiter I have talked to. I was not convicted nor found guilty of a crime. My case was "continued generally" and when I went to reported to "my" probation officer, she was confused as to why I was there to see her because my case was "continued generally" and I had not been convicted of anything. I told her, "because I was told too". She contacted the court and sought advice from her supervisor. After contact with the judge that heard my case, they found that I was not to assigned to a probation officer and was not under probation of any kind. I thanked them, and left.

However, I did take an alcohol class (not provided by the court or the state of Virgina or the county) and did complete community service hours. When I went back to court, my case was dropped, no charges were filed, I payed no fines and was free to go. My father works for the Virginia State Police. I asked him to run a Criminal History Record Name Search Request upon my behalf, he obliged. That request showed "No Conviction Data-Does Not Preclude the Existence of an Arrest Record".

Now, my question is this. I have not been dishonest to any recruiter or OSO I have met with, and EACH and EVERY Marine recruiter and the OSO has said "do not worry, you were not convicted and you did not serve any probationary time". They did no send any record or paper work in regards to this matter to MEPS. I have since dismissed the matter because I was told by several Marines "not to worry". I have not gotten to the point at MEPS where a background check is performed so I am not sure how it will go. I am worried now because I should be hearing back about my medical waiver soon and I do not want to go back to MEPS to be DQed for not disclosing information about this matter, because I have.

Will this show-up during the Background Check portion of MEPS? I even had my recruiter do a background check and he found nothing as well.

Thank you for all those who can shed light on this matter. I apologize for not disclosing this information to the members of this forum sooner, but being told "not to worry about it" that many times by that many recruiters relaxed me for this time being.

Thread Information