Any sniper or avionics experience?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Any sniper or avionics experience?

I am still in high school and have a couple years until i turn 18. I am highly interested in the USMC. I would like to join infantry or avionics. I like the idea of a sniper and i know people say that don't think you will just become one or get your hopes up, believe me i do not have high hopes but would like to become one. i was just wondering if anyone has experience and could tell me anything about avionics or infantry and snipers. Thanks

Similar Threads:

I spent 8 years as an Avionics technician for the RF4B, EA6A, TA4F, and various other bird. I started off working in a squadron doing OMA work which means I pulled the bad box out of the bird and put a different one in. It took troubleshooting but very little. Later on, I transferred to IMA maintenance. This means I got the box after the OMA Marine pulled it out of the bird and I fixed it. I repaired radios, radar altimeters, control boxes, as well as TSEC communications. After I got out, I went back to university and got my BSEE, MSEE, and a doctorate in Electrophysics. I have to say it was a good job.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for replying. That sounds like it would be pretty cool. How many things went bad, broke, or misfunctioned that you had to fix? Did you have to repair things often?

When you see your first Marine jet land...you will know things are going out continuously. Marine and Navy pilots always land like they are landing on a carrier. It is more of a controlled crash. Because of this landing technique, electronics get bounced around quite a bit even though they are locked in place.

I don't really remember a time when I sat in the work center twiddling my thumbs. We had things to work on plus we had a few of the work center queens that we spend 6 months fixing. It is a nature of the beast.

These days, electronics are much more sophisticated and I expect it will be more tweaking and tuning than the form of repair we had to do 40 years ago.

Just remember...if you decide to get out...don't rely on the Marine Corps electronics training to carry you though life. Get your butt back to school and you will have a leg up on the kid at university with you if you decide to get a BSEE.

Good luck.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks a lot Marines, you gave me a lot of good info

Last edited by Lisa 23; 03-16-13 at 07:03 PM. Reason: The Marines who have answered your questions have EARNED the title...United States Marine. How about thanks Marines, not man.

I am currently an active duty sniper pm me if you have questions

Thread Information