Poolees: Be Advised
Create Post

Poolees: Be Advised

Make sure all your paperwork is squared away before you head down to the Depot and don't get too motarded in the DEP. Remember, boot camp is all mental. If you have any questions about what boot camp is like these days, go ahead and ask.

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Valdyr View Post
    Make sure all your paperwork is squared away before you head down to the Depot and don't get too motarded in the DEP. Remember, boot camp is all mental. If you have any questions about what boot camp is like these days, go ahead and ask.
    I see you are from Lubbock, two good Jarhead friends of mine are from there,, what are the chances you know them? Does the name Jon Baldridge or Ronnie Roan ring a bell for you?

Semper

No Sgt, the names don't ring a bell. But they were probably long before my time. I'm a brand new boot, so the Marines I know are mostly around my age/rank and from California

Quote Originally Posted by Valdyr View Post
    No Sgt, the names don't ring a bell. But they were probably long before my time. I'm a brand new boot, so the Marines I know are mostly around my age/rank and from California
    just a flyer, Semper - get some

What was the biggest negative surprise and biggest positive surprise you encountered once you first got to Recruit Training?

First biggest negative / positive surprise happened during our Marine Corps history class. Our Series Gunnery Sergeant (Vallejo I believe) came into the class and announced to all of Hotel Company that a weapon of mass destruction was detonated in Chechnya killing hundreds of Marines.

They said we where going to war and where now on an accelerated training schedule. They informed all of us that we where now active duty 0300 regardless the mos we picked when recruited. (which was fine by me, my sights where set on becoming a Recon Marine)

They then informed us we would be skipping graduation and going north for field and weapons training the following morning. From there, we would deploy immediately.

As this news was being delivered they handed out forms asking us to write down our next of kin, confirm the contact information for our loved ones (so they know who to see when we die) and review our life insurance policy.

After collecting these papers, they had us put our heads on our desks and they proceeded to ask for conscientious objectors. Im proud to say that my platoon was the only one in all of Hotel Company with no objectors. They then dismissed us and sent us back to our squad bays. The following morning we packed up our gear, got on line and formed up outside. From there we where going to load up on buses and head north.

That was when our Senior Drill Instructor informed us it was all bulls**t, had us put all our gear back and dismissed us for morning chow.

I remember being so disappointed and relieved at the same time. I spent the entire night psyching myself up and when we found out it was all a drill it knocked the wind out of me. All my life I wanted to be a Marine and have a chance to serve my country. So more than anything it was a big let down even though a part of me was relieved that I wasn't headed into WW3.

We found out that during the night 11 recruits went AWOL. Two climbed the fences and ran out onto the San Diego Airport tarmac before being apprehended.
    Not sure what came of them, a few where recycled but that's all I know.

Fell ill towards the end of boot and ended up in the hospital fighting renal failure.
    My life pretty much ended when my chance to be a Marine died. Ive since found some peace about it all but that's another story.

Thread Information