Do Marine DI's know your bio
Create Post

Do Marine DI's know your bio

In the movie Jarhead (bear with me), I saw that Swofford's DI was aware that his father served in 'Nam.

How would that be the case? Do Marine DI's review profiles on all incoming Recruits? Is there some sort of mini-bio you fill out upon enlisting? Or was this scene just used for effect in the movie.

Speaking on which, what exactley do Marine DI's know about incoming Recruits. I would figure that with the high volume and exchange of Recruits entering and graduating, that there wouldnt be much time to figure that out, as the Marines want to build you up to their standards.

Anyway, sorry if my ignorance is offensive, or if this thread has been covered ( I couldnt find a related thread on here). Also, thanks very much in advance to anyone with input on this matter. It is truly and greatly appreciated!!!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by AIMSP; 01-29-13 at 04:34 PM. Reason: sorry, was a typo

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    DI's KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!...

Seriously though, they will know more about you than you are aware. But they will not know if another family member served if you didn't tell anyone. It is their job though to know this kind of stuff, they are your chain of command and despite what you may think are there to to make you Marine and take care of you.

If my Drill Instructors really knew that my brother was not only a Marine, but was a Drill Instructor himself (MCRDSD 79-81) and was an Instructor at Officers Candidate School (82-83), they sure didn't show it or act like they knew. They never brought it up.
    Even when my nephew went through boot camp 3 1/2 years ago. They never brought it up with him either. The day my nephew's Drill Instructors found out that my brother and I were Marines was on family day when we introduced ourselves to them.

Thanks everybody so far. Really enlightening posts!

It was a surprise to them when they found out my father was a Decorated Vietnam sniper. I'm guessing, no. Since most of your personal info is Classified.

Thread Information