Officer or Enlisted
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Post Officer or Enlisted

OK I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I'm new to this site so I thought I'd ask for myself. I'm 14 and aspiring to be a Marine and I have the average question: when I decide to join should I go enlisted or officer. Also how does the whole 'choosing your MOS' thing work? I would be grateful for any information.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thread Closed.

Please fill out your profile completly.
    These are Forum Rules.

Once completed you can PM me or any of the Squad Leaders to re-open your thread.

Thank you.

14 ?
    Stay in school, listen to your parents, stay out of trouble and don't do drugs !!!

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-04-12 at 06:30 PM.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That was fast !!!

Thread re-opened.

Thank you for the PM and Welcome to the Forum.

Credits
    Savings
    Well, first off ? your a Steelers fan ! and second, your way to young to be either.
    Officer or enlisted ! Get the H.S. diploma and then college then you can go from there. Moz USMC 68-70

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's too funny MOZ.

I said almost the same thing in the PM he sent me.

" I live in Rhode Island so of course I am a Patriots fan for life " .

He sounded like a very polite young man in his message.

Best of luck to him.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all very much for your help and compliments!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I gotta log off. NCIS is almost on TV

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Other Marines will stop by to give you advice.

Choosing MOS: you take an apptitude test called the ASVAB. Some technical MOS's, like aviation, require a high score. So, the higher your score, the more MOS's you would be qualified for. If you miss the required score by one-or-two points for some MOS's, you can request a waiver. Once you have your ASVAB score, you can sit down with your recruiter and see which MOS's you qualified for. Then, you'll have to make a decision. Sometimes, eventhough you may attain the score for a MOS you're interested in, that particular MOS may be closed because there simply are no openings. In that case, you'll have to go over your list again and choose a different MOS. The new list for MOS's are published to recruiters every October 1st and they go fast. If you wait long after that, you'll have to pick over what is left. So, you'll want to have your ASVAB score and "wishlist" complete before October. Be advised the infantry MOS's are the most popular so they close the quickest.

Officer-vs-enlisted: If you want to be an officer, you'll have to go to college and attend Officer Candidate School (OCS) during summer break. Once you get your degree, you will then be commissioned an officer. I was never an officer so can't tell you what it's like in the officer ranks. As a career enlisted Marine, I can tell you it's the best job I ever had!

Credits
    Savings
    I'd really like to know how choosing your MOS is done. I understand it's based on what is open, and your ASVAB score; but if I want to try to get a certain MOS what are my chances of choosing it and getting it?
    Hope this question isn't too confusing.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry Tennessee Top... I posted that comment before realizing you posted your comment. So would the best time to enlist be the beginning of October?

I forgot the most important element in assigning MOS's and that's "needs of the USMC". You may have the ASVAB score and the MOS you want may be open. But, if the manpower people at Headquarters, Marine Corps decide they need you somewhere else that's where you'll go. Getting the MOS you want is a big crapshoot; sometimes it works out for you and sometimes it doesn't.

Credits
    Savings
    OK
    But if I was trying to get a certain MOS, would the best time to enlist be the beginning of October?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Sorry Tennessee Top... I posted that comment before realizing you posted your comment. So would the best time to enlist be the beginning of October?
    Choosing your MOS is tied to Oct 1st but not necessarily enlisting. This is something you'll have to discuss with your recruiter. You will be eligible to talk to a recruiter once you become a highschool junior.

Credits
    Savings
    OK
    Do you also have to be a junior to ask a recruiter through the Marine Corps' website?

Last edited by Lisa 23; 12-04-12 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    OK
    Do you also have to be a junior to ask a recruiter through the Marine Corps' website?
    No idea; you can try (maybe the site has rules posted on it somewhere?). Don't lie about your age whatever you do. One of our 14 leadership traits is integrity which means always doing the right thing even if nobody is watching or it's unpopular.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 12-04-12 at 08:15 PM.

Thread Information