I EAS'd almost 10 years ago, still lately, I have become rather compelled to re-involve myself with other marines in our very small community. The new recruiter we have out here is really great, hard working and very aggressive. One day after work I popped in to visit and he was talking to a young man considering enlistment. He shared with him and I a story of young man currently in recruit training who will be graduating in a couple weeks. Before he shipped off his brother was dying of cancer, and when I say dying I mean this imminently. His brother did not want his illness to adversely affect his younger brothers choice to serve in the marine corps so they made a pact that after he ships out they swore as a family to not tell the younger brother about his passing while on recruit training. Just a few days after he shipped out, he died. He was able to get through his recruit training without distractions assuming all was well because his brother made everyone commit to this. His brother wanted him to become a marine so bad, everyone believes he fought a little harder to extend his life till after his brother shipped out. While its been extremely hard for the mother who essentially lost 2 sons within a week, shes realized this has ended up being a very great and powerful thing for the younger brother. It makes me proud to know that there are still strong families out there that will go through such extreme hardships and make it through to the end. It is a friendly reminder that without family support, life is a lot harder. I wanted to share that with you guys, as we all can appreciate the sacrifices our families back home go through to support our past, current and future serviceman. Semper Fi folks.