Can someone give me some advice on my decision?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey I'm new to the site and sorry if I'm posting this question on the wrong forum.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm a college student and by the end of this semester I'll have 35 or 36 credits. Thing is my ship date is 20130624 and I was thinking attending college for the next semester and have over 50 credits which would leave me a few credits shy from my Associates Degree. My problem is that I don't want to wait so long to ship out . My question is should I attend to my next semester or become a backup shipper?

2. I picked Supply and Accounting and also Legal Admin as one of my choices for my MOS. My cousin who is a Sergeant in the Marines is telling me not to pick the Admin MOS because people say those Marines aren't seen or respected as "REAL" Marines. The reason I chose the MOS is because I believe It'll give me time to go to college while active. What I ask for Isn't an answer but some advice.

Thank You

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 12-01-12 at 02:33 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    NYCLIFE [QUOTE]
    I picked Supply and Accounting ,
    also Legal Admin as one of my choices for my MOS.

My cousin who is a Sergeant in the Marines -
    is telling me not to pick the Admin MOS because people say those Marines-
    aren't seen or respected as "REAL" Marines.

The reason I chose the MOS,
    is because I believe It'll give me time to go to college while active.

What I ask for Isn't an answer but some advice.

My problem is that I don't want to wait so long to ship out .
    My question is should I attend to my next semester or become a backup shipper?

************************************************** ************************************************** *****

Studley.

as far as MOS's folks don't appreciate - you'll hear about dozens of them.
    POG's/ non POG's,,,Folks wanting "Special Patches",,,"SpecialDuty" and "Special Librety"..

Chose what you will for one reason or another...You're the one that will have to do the job
    when you succeed.

IF by chance , you had read some of the other threads on this site,,,You'll see that once you are a Marine,,,,you should wake to the fact that it takes all the military mos's to make the
    MarineCorps SWING !!!
    YOU ASK \/
    ((What I ask for Isn't an answer but some advice.)) We'll say.........

Nothing in life is perfect.......consider your options/ pick one

We've all made mistakes one way or another ,,NO BIG DEAL, Studley
    Pick what's best for you .....

Quote Originally Posted by NYCLIFE View Post

Thing is my ship date is 20120624
    Well, either that's a typo, or you missed your shipdate.
    I was in supply (3043) and I didn't get any hassle from any other Marines. ALL MOS's in the Marine Corps are important.

Thank you Marines for your input, and yes it was typo sorry. My ship date is on 20130624, but what do you Marines think. Should I attend to my next semester? or become a back up shipper? Sorry if im asking too many questions

Last edited by Lisa 23; 11-30-12 at 08:46 AM. Reason: How about Marines, not guys.

NYCLIFE, it's your life and the choice is YOURS. YOU have to do what YOU want to do, not what you think the Marines here think you should do.
    You're going to get some advice with some Marines suggesting to stay in college and get your education, and then some are going to suggest that if being a Marine is what you really want, then be that back-up shipper.
    Ultimately, the decision is YOURS. It's YOUR life and YOU have do what's best for YOU.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide.

Thank you for correcting me, I'm getting the hang of the website.

Manny, the phone number you posted for your recruiter doesn't appear to be listed properly. You sure that is accurate? Be that as it may, I'll offer brief "advice," and put it in your post for simplicity.

Hey I'm new to the site and sorry if I'm posting this question on the wrong forum.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I'm a college student and by the end of this semester I'll have 35 or 36 credits. Thing is my ship date is 20120624 and i was thinking attending college for the next semester and have over 50 credits which would leave me a few credits shy from my Associates Degree. My problem is that I don't want to wait so long to ship out . My question is should I attend to my next semester or become a backup shipper?

You need to do some deep soul searching, young man. What do YOU really want here? Weigh your options and balance it and narrow it down to what it is that is most important to you RIGHT NOW. Then live with it. If it is getting closer to that AA, then do it and stick with your current ship date. If you want to ship at the earliest opportunity, then sign up for "back-up shipper," and be done with it. Weight it out. What really are the odds you will ship early if you are a back-up shipper? And how early? March, April, February??? What do you have to gain by that? What do you have to gain and what do you have to lose? Stick with June and gain some more credits? Gain more credits and save a semester of college. Or, ship early, get through boot camp, MOS school, and you at your first duty station you might be able to enroll in college, but you will not be able to take a full load, and you won't be able to do it until January 2014. So weigh it out, make the best decision for you, and then stick with it and you will be at peace.

2. I picked Supply and Accounting and also Legal Admin as one of my choices for my MOS. My cousin who is a Sergeant in the Marines is telling me not to pick the Admin MOS because people say those Marines aren't seen or respected as "REAL" Marines. The reason I chose the MOS is because I believe It'll give me time to go to college while active. What I ask for Isn't an answer but some advice.

I was Legal my entire enlistment. The legal community are some good Marines, and I will tell you, I have experienced an attitude of not being respected as 'REAL' Marines, and I can tell you, if I had, then the person conveying that attitude would have learned right then and there that a Marine with a legal MOS is a real Marine and they wouldn't have forgotten it. My duty assignments were in several areas: with the wing, at Okinawa along side grunts, and temporary duty at many local. Whoever told you supply, admin, legal are not respected as real Marines doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

What one enlists as and for depends on their goals and purpose. If yours is having available time to do college, usually you will have it in admin or legal. Can't say for supply, but I have a bias and would lean toward legal. It's a tight-knit group with some great people. Time for college will also depend on where your duty station is.

Thank You
    Good luck with your decision.

No I did not put his real number because I haven't asked him for permission. I wouldn't want to put his number up on the website without his consent, I believe that's something private. Is it mandatory to put his number?

True. In fact...with a short google search, one comes up with the RS's in that area, and behold! The phone number doesn't match.

Accurate information is also called integrity. Integrity is truth. Wrong numbers, for instance, could be posted by somebody posing as a poolee and might possibly be a troll.

Now, that wouldn't be the case here, right?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No I did not put his real number because I haven't asked him for permission. I wouldn't want to put his number up on the website without his consent, I believe that's something private. Is it mandatory to put his number?
    YES !!!!.

Square it away now.

Thread closed.

PM me when you get your profile in order.
    All of it !!!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile completed.
    Thread re-opened.

Last edited by Rocky C; 12-01-12 at 07:04 PM.

I want to thank everyone who took their time to give me very valuable information and share their wisdom. Specially to USMC1963 the Pro and Cons strategy you showed me helped shed clarity on what I'm going to do. I love this website already.

Not being a "real" Marine just because you're not a grunt is total CRAP!

I was an admin pogue my entire 22.6 years career and can truthfully say whenever I was in a position to compete against grunts (resident Staff NCO academy at Quantico as one example) held my own. When I went to the Marine Security Guard School in Quantico as a student detachment commander I was competing against grunt SNCO's including former drill instructors and managed to be the SNCO honor grad (because I was the high schooter at the FBI Academy and had the highest academic average; another SNCO had the high PFT; some of those grunts didn't even graduate). Later, as a detachment commander on the program, I was leading grunts (including a couple scout snipers) and nongrunts and was named the #1 Detachment Commander out of 120 on the MSG program in 1987. Me, a lowly 0193 Admin Chief! I did not make myself an admin pogue, the USMC did, but there is no doubt in my mind that if they had made me a grunt I would've been a damned good one. Point is, and luckily so, in the USMC, nobody is ever discriminated against based on MOS alone (in spite of what you may have been told). What one accomplishes, and how far one goes in their career is totally dependant on work ethic, leadership skills, and desire to excel/sacrafice (with some luck sprinkled in). Our promotion system is designed to promote the best and our reenlistment system is designed to retain the best. Forget about that crap you can only be a real Marine by going into the combat arms MOS's. Earning the EGA makes you a real Marine...period. As an example, we have had Commandants and Sergeant Majors of the Marine Corps who were not grunts...enough said.

Well, TOP said it all.

My 2 cents.

Me on the Grunt side , You never know how hard it it until you have been there.

I have been and done the Admin side, chow all duties, S3, G3, Supply, Comm, Intell and you know what, they work their butt off like any Marine.

Once you have earned the title, that is all you need.

S/F,
    CEYA!

Hey Marines just wanted update my situation I first decided to attend college and obtain my associates degree, but due to some financial situation and problems with financial aid I told my recruiter to sign me up as a back-up shipper. I think it's best and for some reason every time i go to my Poolee functions It gives me this desire of joining and earning the tittle I can't explain it.

Thread Information