Active and College
Create Post

Active and College

I have a year or so until I plan on taking the ASVAB test as a Junior in High School, so I figured I'd do my research and ask a few questions now while I have the time.

For the past year or so I've been really interested in becoming a Marine after I graduate high school, but I've come up with a few questions. My first one would be whether or not it is possible to take some college courses, after recruit training, or when I am either deployed or stationed at a base. From what I've heard, there are occasionally college professors stationed at some of the bases. I have also heard that you can take online college courses as well. I'm aware that for some forms of training, or learning in the Marine Corps you can receive college credits. My first goal is to become a Marine, so if I have to choose between the two, I know which one I'm doing. However, if you do know about taking college classes while serving Active Duty, please let me know! All and any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Similar Threads:

Thread closed until you have a complete profile......site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Yes you can take college courses both online and in a traditional class room setting. Both stationed state side, overseas, or on deployment.

This will all depend on your work/shop schedule and training schedule which will vary based on MOS and whit kind of unit you are with exactly. Also keep in mind these classes will have to be done on your free time(nights/weekends), trust me when I say that you may think you won't now but you will want to go out and have some fun on your time off.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Not only that but you can take college courses now while your still in High School. You have 2 years before you Graduate. That would be enough time for you to get the 15 credits you need to Enlist before you even graduate school.

See your school guidance counselor to inquire .

Taking College Courses during high school sounds like a great idea, but will the credits count towards College or High School? Just curious! I know that I will definitely have to take one college course for my senior year since the next level up isn't exactly offered at my school. If you know anything else about taking college courses or getting college credits while still in high school, let me know!

That depends. Some high schools have "college connection," in which the student attends, say, a local Jr. College or Comm. College, and credits count both ways. Others do dual enrollment, in which it is the same, but the difference is by the time they are seniors, they are predominately taking classes at college and get credit for both. Do what Rocky said, see your guidance counselor and inquire. Ask about dual enrollment, college AP classes, or college connection. I have a daughter who did dual enrollment, graduated high school with 56 college units, and essentially went to college as an incoming freshman/junior. Good luck.

I'll be sure to ask about it! Thank you for the insight. It sounds like a good idea, the only thing that I'm worried about is being overwhelmed with work since I take 7 classes a semester, and then there's sports and clubs and whatnot. I'll see if I can ask my guidance counselor about it!

Cup of Joe, these are very good advice, and it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulder. Regarding online or distance learning programs, carefully read to determine if courses and institution are accredited and the credits transferable. If not, you've wasted a lot of time. You can find the accrediting information at u.s. dept of ed website.

I took the education route in my last year with the Marine Corps at Quantico, VA. Signed up for evening classes at University of Virginia extension and built up credits (even got access to study alongside senior officers at the Command & Staff College library!). This experience allowed me to transfer and earn degrees at the University Southern California. Good thinking -- and I noticed you have pretty strong writing skill. Good luck.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Great thread and great questions Olivia.
    Please keep us posted.
    Many here will benefit from the knowledge being posted on this thread.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks to all of those who've helped me out! I feel a lot more prepared for when I talk to a recruiter, or my school counselor for that matter. Hopefully in the next month or so I can look into taking some college courses with my counselor. Thanks again!

Thread Information