Thread: Psalm 1

Psalm 1

Psalm 1
    1 Blessed is the one
    who does not walk in step with the wicked
    or stand in the way that sinners take
    or sit in the company of mockers,
    2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and who meditates on his law day and night.
    3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
    and whose leaf does not wither—
    whatever they do prospers.
    4 Not so the wicked!
    They are like chaff
    that the wind blows away.
    5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
    nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
    6 For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
    but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.

New International VersionBiblica, Inc.®

One of my all time favorite Psalms, Psalm 1:1-6 tells me each day to choose what path I want to take. ?
    Do I want to be blessed today Do I want to be that tree planted by streams of water?
    I grew up in Rural Ohio. I often went fishing in a nearby stream or a pond.
    I remember laying in the long grass in the summer enjoying the breeze, the warm sun, the clear stream teaming with fish. I remember thinking; I doesn’t get much better than this. I was at peace with my world, no cares, no worries.

Life soon came along and got in the way of all that!
    Vietnam took that innocent young boy and turned him into an angry, chip on the shoulder- looking for trouble man. For so many years I couldn’t find that place in my mind or my heart.
    I found a beautiful young Bride who was raised a Christian and who still possessed that carefree innocence I once possessed. Her inner peace gave me a soft hiding place when life got too painful but I still fought my demons daily and nightly.
    Sue’s Father told me as a condition of him giving her hand to me that I was to raise my family in a Christian home. I thought “Oh, He means to take them to Church”. So we did that. It brought me little peace to simply attend Church or even to be Sunday school teachers and youth group teachers.
    One day I discovered that Jesus was not a fictional character in the Bible who I read about each week but a real living Savior who could come into my heart and finally help me find that stream and that tree.
    I discovered that he had created a detailed road map back to that place. He also wanted to teach me to bear fruit. He wanted to teach me how to be planted by that stream and still go out and rescue others who felt the same way I did. He showed me to take them back to their own stream and show them about the master artist who painted this place and lead them into his palace.
    Peace, Refugee, productivity, even in the face of the mockers.
    That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields it’s fruit in season and who’s leaf does not wither- whatever they do prospers.

Father I am so thankful for Sue and those you have placed in my life to help me find my way. Bless them abundantly oh Lord. Help my new friends find that stream and tree in your arms of compassion and renew them to produce much good fruit. May they find the same constant joy, sharing that place with those they encounter who have lost their way. Bless and prosper all the work you give their hands to do. Peace is found only in you Lord. Amen.