Where Your Mind Goes

Author: Pastor Gary Keesee | Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 - 8:46am

Have you ever been riding a bicycle and tried to look at something behind you? It’s not easy. The old phrase “Where your eyes go, your body follows” kicks in, and you tend to steer the bike in the direction your head is turning.

That phrase is usually something that sports trainers and coaches say, but it really applies to nearly every area of your life. Because where your eyes, and your mind goes, your life follows; how you’re approaching your life—your perspective—is affecting where you’re going.

Look at Numbers 13. God told Moses to send some men to explore the land of Canaan. He sent them and they saw that the land was good. But then what happened?

Verses 31-33 tell us:
“But the men who had gone up with him said, “We can’t attack those people; they are stronger than we are.” And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, “The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.”

They had the WRONG perspective. It didn’t matter that they had the promises of God; they couldn’t see the promises for themselves.

So many people are living like that—focused on the wrong things and having no clue who they really are and who God created them to be. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of the Church hiding. If the Bible says it, it should be so. You don’t have to accept mediocrity and failure as a way of life! You have the promises of God!

You have the potential to create your life every day, but you have to walk out the principles; you have to engage. That might mean you have to make some hard choices.

Most Christians I know say they missed God whenever things get tough. But we can’t live outside of trouble. God wants you to stay steadfast during those times. He wants you to step up to the plate. So how do you do that? Ask yourself these three questions:

1. What am I looking at?
What’s your perspective? How do you see yourself? Is it time for a change of scenery? Are you looking at the promises of God or at your problems? The Word of God should be your mirror. Your heart is going to produce what it's meditating on. Set your sights on what God says. Then protect and guard your heart.

2. What am I saying?
Do your words sound like your co-workers, your friends on Facebook, Satan’s? Or do they sound like God’s? No matter what anyone else is saying, set yourself in agreement with what God says and only say what He says.

3. How easily is my perspective changed?
The goal of the enemy is always to make your problem or circumstance look bigger than God. Train yourself not to be moved off of what God says. I don't care if the lives of everyone around you are falling apart, you don't need to fear those things. Stay in faith (agreement) with what heaven says about you, about your situation, and about the Kingdom of God. Cast those thoughts that don’t line up with what God says down like water off a duck's bath. Tell the enemy to shut up.

What you look at and think on has a huge bearing on where you'll go in life, and on whether or not you’ll win in life. When Peter walked on the water with Jesus, he took his eyes off Jesus and put them on the wind and the waves (the circumstances), and he started to sink. That's what the enemy wants to do to you. Don’t buy into his smokescreen. Keep your perspective in agreement with God’s, and don’t let the enemy change it.