Ocs
Create Post

Thread: Ocs

Question Ocs

Hey Marines,
    I just wanted to get some information about OCS as I would like to become an Officer. I am a Poolee and already have my MOS set up (Aviation Electronics Technician) but i want to know if i still have the option to go to the OCS route and become an officer. And how would i go about doing that? If you can give me any information, that'd be great. Thank you.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    upon receiving a 4-year college degree you have the option or once you get out of your enlisted contract and you're in school full time you can get contracted to go to OCS via PLC program. If you are a poolee right now, I wouldn't concern yourself with OCS or becoming an officer. That is quite a few years down the road if you pursue it. Get through boot camp, your first 2-3 years in the fleet, and then you can start thinking about your options after you get off active duty.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    upon receiving a 4-year college degree you have the option or once you get out of your enlisted contract and you're in school full time you can get contracted to go to OCS via PLC program. If you are a poolee right now, I wouldn't concern yourself with OCS or becoming an officer. That is quite a few years down the road if you pursue it. Get through boot camp, your first 2-3 years in the fleet, and then you can start thinking about your options after you get off active duty.
    Well i know there is an option to go to OCS right after high school. As in become an officer first. And that's the route I was interested in. Point being, i wanted to see if it was still possible since i have my MOS and contract already signed with the Marine Corps. Thanks for the input LCpl

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Where did you hear this from?....it is not an option/not possible. You have to be a full time college student in order to be eligible to even go to OCS via PLC(platoon leaders course. where you go to OCS each summer between school years). The only other options besides that are NROTC at a 4 year college/university or Naval Academy.

Marines sorry, i used the wrong term. I didn't mean to say OCS but what Josephd said. NROTC. I would like to know my options for NROTC would be as a poolee with my MOS already signed off. Sorry for the confusion, Sir.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    You have to be at a college/university with a NROTC program. So you really don't have 'options'. As soon as you finish your 4 years active duty you can go back to school at a college/university with a NROTC program and hope you get in it.

if your seriously considering OCS, get rid of your contract. And YES you can.

Once you do go through bootcamp and start your MOS. Then there is absolutely no way to go Officer, until you finish out your contract. (although since your already a Marine, there are plenty of great ways to go about becoming an officer or warrant officer)

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    s4m22 you are wrong about that. You can go enlisted to officer many of ways. Two of them that are most common is Platoon Leaders Course (PLC) or NROTC. If you enlist you also have other was of going into it as well. You can join the PLC only while you are a full time student at a credited university. Where as NROTC is mainly at bigger schools. If you want to still enlist and then become a Officer. You can throw the PLC program. Once you sign the for ever long papers to get be in and then selected through the boards. You will be placed into a non-deployment status. You can always get out of that and deploy if you want but your contract may not be there anymore. Once completion of OCS your new contract will supersede your enlisted contract. Then you will report to TBS and go on from there as a new officer.

Thread Information