How to convince my parent to let me join Marine reserves - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fine, I hope you hate life. Go for it kid, just don't come to my unit.

What is your problem dick. How have I made you upset?

Going the active route to pay for college?

Is going the active route to pay for college during your enlistments feasible. I know its possible for the gi bill, but it seems really hard cause your a Marine full time and a college student part time. If any who did this route could explain to me more about it and how long it took them to get there bachelors degree and would be extremely grateful. Thank you.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I understand you want to get school paid for(who doesn't right??), I also understand wanting to be a Marine. But if you are joining the Marine Corps just to get school paid for and hope to become an officer you really need to re-evaluate what you want most and what branch you should join. While it is possible to take classes part time outside of your working hours if you went active duty, it is not your commands responsibility and it is definitely not required for them to let you take the time to do so.

My suggestion to you is focus on one or the other..either go to college full time or go active duty in the Corps. You are gonna be one bitter Marine if you go active to only find that you won't have the time to get some classes in, same goes for if you go reserves and think you're gonna reap all the benefits that the active duty/veterans get.

Also understand on here that we are answering your questions out of pure kindness and wanting to legitimately help, if you don't like our answers then again you need to really think long and hard about whether or not the Corps is right for you. Responding back with attitude isn't going to get you anywhere in this world, civilian or military.

I would have committed suicide if I only joined for the college money, it's not worth it. I had that realization some time in 3rd phase, you had to be insane or have a burning desire to earn that title no matter what it took. I guess everyone had a little bit of both.

If you want money, save yourself some trouble and join the Army.

I know I'm old news, but back in the 70's it was my hope and intention to join the Corps and get some money to go to college while I was in.

That hope turned into non-reality when I realized that the Corps comes first and college is at the bottom of the list. You could be in the middle of a semester when you get orders to transfer overseas (and perhaps not be able to complete your education there). Or when you get back stateside and begin college again you could get sent on an operation for 30 days out in the middle of bumfck nowhere. That happens time and again and is just a fact of life in the Corps.

I think the advice here is wise from both old vets and those currently serving.

Thread Information