How to convince my parent to let me join Marine reserves
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to convince my parent to let me join Marine reserves

Hello im currently a senior in high school and Im trying to convince my parent to let me sign up for Marine reserves. Im 17 so I cant join yet without my parents discretion. I have applied for the Nrotc scholarship Marine option, but being a realistic guy like I am I dont think im going to get it. Im an average student with a good pft score. I have been going to the poolee functions for 3 months now and I love it. I want to be Marine more than anything. I have already asked my parents about letting me sign up for active Marines and they turned down that idea real quick. There main concern was that I wouldn't be motivated or dedicated enough to do college part time as a full time Marine, which I can understand that and there concerns. Well I did a lot of research and talked to my recruiter and Marine reserves sound like a viable option. I get some money for going up ounce a month and doing drills and I get some money for college. My family is pretty well of and help pay for schooling and I could help them with the bill and I can be a Marine. My plans after college is to join active Marine and go to OCS cause I have a degree. I need my parents help through college if I dont get the scholarship so I cant just join when Im at 18 otherwise im on my own. If I sign up for the reserves now and say get the scholarship than they would relive my duty as a reservest and I would be in the Nrotc program, but if I dont get it than I can attend bootcamp and soi because I want to be an 0311. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

You need to fill out your profile before someone will help you. PM any squad leader , Mod or Admin to reopen this once you have.

Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile completed, thread re-opened.

Note, second thread deleted. Follow instructions about getting closed threads re-opened.

If your goal is active duty, and that's what you want, you better go for it now dude. Your family cannot help you and baby you along once you hit the yellow footprints, so you might as well start making your own decisions right now. If you think college is what you want, maybe the reserves is the way to go. But once you taste Marine life, you won't want to go back. There is no "just going active duty" or "just going to OCS". We are in draw down mode, so what you pick is going to effect the next 4 years of your life, 6 if you're a reservist. Your recruiter will just have to understand that your family won't sign for you and you'll have to wait until you're 18. He'll do everything in his power to convince your family to sign, just the nature of the job.

If I go the Reservist route and choose the Marine officer and sign up for PLC when am I non-deployable?

Is that a question?

Here's the deal holmes, your options simple: go active, do 4-5 years depending on the job you get, then you can choose whether or not you want to continue in the Marine Corps, drop to the SMCR, or simply go to the IRR located at Camp Couch, 1st CivDiv.

If you go reserve, you are agreeing to do 6 years in the reserves, for me that meant I do 9 months of good training, I loved it. Now my ass is at home doing nothing, waiting for winter quarter so I can go to school. I hate it. If you want anything out of the Marine Corps, take the most direct route to it first, if that fails, I guarantee you there will be other ways to becoming a Marine.

So again, if officer is your goal, go talk to an OSO, not your recruiter. Do college, and then go for OCS, PLC, whatever the hell it is. The reserves shouldn't be used as a stepping stone on your way up, rather it's for the other way around.

Whats wrong with going the Reserve route to help pay college and still become a Marine and train at the same time?

You already said your family is well off, the SMCR GI Bill sucks a fat one, you'll get a fraction of the benefits you'd receive as someone coming off of active duty. Which sucks because now you have to find a place to live, you have to pay for food, your car, everything, and then school.

You are on your own once you leave your MOS school. I would kill just to be at 1st Intel Bn right now, and half the guys I know there hate it.

Wait if I go resserves I cant just live with my parents when I go through school? Is where they put you in America dependent on your mos? For example If I choose Infantry I live where ever drill is for infantry?

I live in Frisco wouldn't I go to drill in Dallas or does that depend on the mos I choose? Thanks I know I have a lot of questions. Its just a big decision and I dont want to **** up my life.

The RSS assigns you an MOS in the reserves, and it will tell you what unit and where they drill, if you live more than 50 miles away they'll pay you a travel stipend. You may as well just be a POG if you're going to enlist, reserve infantry is somewhat of a joke. You can live with your parents, but you won't want to when you come back a man. I'm still living at home and I hate it, I leave in the morning and come back late at night. I honestly hate being at home, feeling worthless, I get to play Marine once a month. I would give my left nut to be active duty.

Thank you for answering my question and adding your personal thought. I want to get my college done with before I go active and reserves allows me to go to college fulltime and still be a Marine. The resserves dont pay enough to let me live on my own so I would have to live with my parents. The reason I dont just join active is, because I would be a Marine full time and school only part time and I dont want to drag out college for 6 to 8 years.

I really don't think you're listening here, you are STUCK in the reserves for 6 years if you decide that's what you want to do. That means you don't go active duty, you don't become an officer, you sit around with your thumb up your ass.

I don't understand your rush to become a Marine, we're not going anywhere, all you're doing now is hurting yourself in the long run. In 4 years the Marine Corps will have stabilized and the enlistment process will actually be much easier. It may be impossible for someone on the outside looking in, but this is why I am telling you. Boot camp is hell on earth, MCT isn't a whole lot better if you're west coast. You go through hell to become a Marine, and then you throw all your experiences away to return to the civilian world.

Have some discipline and patience and just finish your damn schooling if you want to be an officer. It's obvious that you don't care though, many stupid young men before you have made the same mistake, let it not be said that I didn't try to help you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PATRIOT4EVER View Post
    . I need my parents help through college if I dont get the scholarship so I cant just join when Im at 18 otherwise im on my own.
    If you are not prepared to "be on your own" you need to rethink this entire plan! Once you are 18 you should decide if you want to be a Marine, a college boy or just live with your folks until they get tired of you. If you do four years with the Marines you will most likely have a chance to pick up a lot of courses in that time (current Marines have done it and can let you know more about that). After four, you may decide you have had enough or you may decide to complete your education while you stay in; or get out, get your degree and go back in as an officer. You need to get over this crap of "I'll be on my own". Big step, consider it well!

How is it obvious I dont care. If I didn't care why would I even be on here?

Thread Information