Did I ruin my chances of joining the Marine Corps?
Create Post

Did I ruin my chances of joining the Marine Corps?

I am a 21 year old male. Quick background information: 6ft tall 215lbs very athletic. College student, private catholic highschool graduate, honor roll in highschool as well as college.

However, I have a bad criminal past that I am afraid is going to DQ me from joining the Marines. As follows:

- Reckless driving, misdeamenor charge
    Result: CWOF (Continued without finding) no conviction
    Probation violation 1: Arrested for Domestic Assault and Battery
    Probation violation 2: Tested positive for anabolic steroids. no action taken
    Probation violation 3: Tested positive for morphine, sent to live at sober house
    Probation violation 4: Restraining order violation

- Domestic Assault and Battery, felony charge (male victim: older brother)
    Result: CWOF (Continued without a finding) no conviction
    No violations

- Restraining order violation, CWOF, misdeamenor charge
    No action taken

I have a near perfect PFT and am very involved in bodybuilding, etc. I have been sober close to half a year now. I am wondering if my shots of becoming a marine have been ruined. Always wanted to do it, just had a very bad drug problem and couldnt get my act together. I am a good person when I am sober, but once you put a drink or a drug in my system I become a reckless psychotic dangerous *******- I have come to terms with this and have given up drinking or drugging for good. I also work now if that makes any difference. Thank you.

Desired MOS: Infantry

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Please complete your profile in accordance with site rules. Read those rules and stickies.

This thread will be closed until profile completed. Once profile is completed, you can PM me or any other squad leader to reopen the thread.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile completed, thread reopened.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Great to hear you are clean and sober now.
    Keep up the good work.
    My suggestion would be to go talk to a Recruiter in person.

Good luck to you.

to be very honest,,the Corps is getting very picky,, glad to hear you are on the wagon yet so keep that up, but your past can come back to haunt you, but the best thing is to as RI said go an hash it out with a recruiter,, you could catch a break,

No BS answer? Highly unlikely you'll be able to get a waiver with this many criminal violations, conviction or no. The drug use stuff is what is going to absolutely kill you, since not only did you 'do' it, but you did it while on probation. To the board of officers (or even just one) looking at your waiver request, that's going to look like you basically said "Frak the rules I'm gonna do what I want".

In this day and age, with the zero tolerance policy, and the drawdown, I'd say your chances are less than 10 percent to the good of being accepted.

Still, never hurts to try, you'll never know unless you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    No BS answer? Highly unlikely you'll be able to get a waiver with this many criminal violations, conviction or no. The drug use stuff is what is going to absolutely kill you, since not only did you 'do' it, but you did it while on probation. To the board of officers (or even just one) looking at your waiver request, that's going to look like you basically said "Frak the rules I'm gonna do what I want".

In this day and age, with the zero tolerance policy, and the drawdown, I'd say your chances are less than 10 percent to the good of being accepted.

Still, never hurts to try, you'll never know unless you do.
    This^

The Marine Corps just won't allow you in with a substance abuse history. The way they see it, you have an abuse problem without any of the stressors of military life. If you have a drinking/drug problem now, what's going to happen when you come home from a combat tour (you did say you wanted infantry, right?). The Corps is constantly battling alcoholism with Marines that showed up without any substance abuse issues, so allowing you to enlist with a history of it is not only setting themselves up for failure, it's probably doing the same to you.

I'm not telling you to skip out on trying. I think you should. Recruiters go to bat for guys who PT and have high ASVAB scores. Knock out about 25 pullups and score well on your pretest, and they'll likely do everything they can to assist your efforts.

It really depends on your recruiter...if your recruiter really believes in you...then he will do everything to help you. Just remember, it isn't your recruiter's decision. Do well on your IST, ASVAB, and don't waste your recruiter's time ...and I'm sure you'll make it.

Good answers so far.

From your post, you basically indicate you have one charge and then a list of probation violations, which are not new charges, but violations of the original. How the Marine Corps views that...can't say. The domestic violence felony could be a disqualifier, but from what you say, you are sort of on DA's probation, that you have no conviction for it and it sounds like it is just hanging out there.

As everybody has said, you need to see a recruiter. The other thing you need to do is go back to that juvenile court and get those convictions expunged and sealed if possible. You can start by contacting the juvenile court asking how this is done, but you may need to see an attorney to get it done right.

Won't hurt to try. Good luck finding a recruiter willing to put the work in for you. There are plenty of applicants out there with clean records I'm sure they would work up first. You know going in it won't be easy or fast.

If you do get turned down then let it go. There are too many applicants who get shot down then come on here asking us what can they do. When they say "no" they mean "no" and there is no appeal process!

Thread Information