Enlisted to Officer aviation.
Create Post

Enlisted to Officer aviation.

Well, to start, I've always been interested in flying, especially helicopters. I enlisted as an 03 so I could go to Afghanistan before the war was over... Well, now the war is over, and I want to go back to my original plan... Flying. I'm looking for information on becoming an officer, either through MECEP, or just getting out to go to college, as well as info on becoming a pilot (i.e. do you get to choose fix wing vs rotary wing, do you get to choose specific birds ect..ect..). Any and all info either posted here or sent in a private message is much appreciated.

As well as what I can do now to set me up for the future.

If I remember correctly, as far as being a pilot its not much different then the rest of the Marine Corps. You first go to just the basic of basic school for all aviaition pilots. Do not know how long this part is, but once your done with this school thats when you put down your prefer choices as far as what you want to fly.

What ever they decide on what kind of pilot they want you to be is when they send you off to the second school that specializes in that specific air craft that you will be learning.

I am going off on what an officer pilot told me a few years ago, may be wrong but I believe its right.

Come to think of it I am not really sure how you would be able to even get to be chosen to be a pilot in the first place. You might get screwed and come in as a admin/logistics officer.

Former Marine enlisted may suggest an advantage but truth be told, it doesn't. Becoming a Marine Corps officer requires significant amount of academic/physical'character stamina, the results of which you have to score at least in the top 5% among graduates. "Then" presume you pass the aviation physical and are qualified, MarCorp Aviation program requires you to be at the top 3% of your class, no exception. And if you are REALLY exceptional, maybe top 1% of your aviation class, "maybe" you can go into fixed wing and jets. No college degree (and not online) is a no/go. With draw down in military, double the odds. Good luck, I mean it. Several aviators lurking around here site can certainly collaborate this post.

Semper fi,

You might as well go to the chair force, or go do that army program that they have where you go into the army as a warrent officer and become a pilot in the rotary part of aviation. (Pretty sure its not made up but never spoke to a career planner about it)

Even if you were to go through the Marine Corps and become a pilot, you will still get screwed over. The officers not only have to do all the **** they do as pilots and flying but also have a bunch of extra collateral duties such as running the shops in a squadron. From what I see takes a lot but its not impossible. Just saying I rather be a pilot in the chair force or army then in the Marine Corps.

I'm sure there is plenty of information on becoming an officer around here but I have yet to see flight school detailed out. I'm sure I can drop some knowledge here and help the802 out, as well as future readers.

As far as becoming an officer, you probably already know how that's done (USNA/OCS via PLC/OCC/MECEP/NROTC, etc) and that it takes a great deal of dedication and persistence to successfully complete any program. The danger (and possibly, beauty) of becoming a Marine Corps officer is that you can quit at any time in most circumstances with no strings attached.

As far as MOS selection, Aviation and JAG are guaranteed in contracts just like enlisting into career fields. Anything not in Aviation (Naval Aviators' and Naval Flight Officers' MOS) or JAG are based on competition. Infantry, Arty, Supply, Log, Comms, etc are all earned on the merit and desire displayed by the lieutenant while s/he is at The Basic School for 6 months.

While at The Basic School, lieutenants (and sometimes those JAG Captains that are post-law school) go through 6 months of basic officership instruction that is infantry minded but very broad in scope. What I mean by this is we learn the basic ins and outs of performing as a platoon commander, but also get to experience bits and pieces of each MOS an officer can expect to be placed in. About 4 months into the school, the Company Commanders meet with their Staff Platoon Commanders (SPC - typically a Captain, and your demi-God while at TBS) and determine how many accessions for each MOS are available to the company. For example, one of my friends recently got 0302, which was his #1 choice. His company had ~30 slots available, yet more than 60 wanted it.

These guys can get screwed out of the MOS they want, but it's simply the needs of the Corps over your own needs. However, if they line up to work your way, then so much the better! Aviators and JAGs, like I said, are pre-designated and are not included in this MOS draft (even though you will still pick out a list of MOS choices in case things were to turn sour).

Once you are done with Quantico, there are 5 schools to get through before joining the FMF. Plan on 2-3 years to complete all of your introductory training (TBS + flight school) before even expecting to get into the fleet.

IFS - Introductory Flight Screening - 6-8 weeks
    IFS is the first step to becoming a Naval Aviator. Most new flight school students enroll in a contract civilian flight school for X hours of flight training in small aircraft, generally a Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee. Student must successfully solo. The purpose of this school is to screen students to see their aptitude for flight in actual aircraft, before sending them through all of flight school. However, students who already have a pilots license can skip IFS and head straight to Aviation Preflight Indoctrination (API).

API - Aviation Preflight Indoc - 6 weeks
    All students start their military part of flight school at Pensacola NAS. There they receive classroom instruction in a multitude of topics like aerodynamics, engines and systems, weather, nav, and flight rules and regulations. They also receive some instruction in survival tactics, survival swimming (you will swim a mile in a flight suit), and aerospace physiology.

Primary Flight Training - 6 months
    Once you've successfully completed API you can be assigned to a Training Squadron (VT) at NAS Whiting Field or NAS Corpus Christi. Up until recently, a small percentage of SNAs attended Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) with the Air Force at Vance AFB in Oklahoma. Primary teaches the SNA the basics of flying.

Intermediate/Advanced Flight Training
    At the end of primary, Marine SNAs are selected to attend one of four Intermediate Flight Training paths: Jets, Helos, KC-130s or MV-22s. Selection is based upon the needs of the service, your individual performance, and lastly your individual desires. What is available is what determines who gets what, for the most part. Some weeks there are NO jet slots available, and sometimes there are many. Conversely, there may be one or two helo slots, a jet slot and many MV-22 slots. It's all about timing, essentially.

During Intermediate/Advanced, the SNA will learn to employ his or her aircraft type safely, navigate it, and take it to a ship (with the exception of the C-130 students). Jet students have an advanced pipeline where they learn tactics, weapons deployment, basic fighter maneuvers and culminate with carrier qualifications - on your first trip to the boat you WILL be solo!

At the end of Advanced training, the students will get their wings of gold and their assignments to fleet airframes. Jet students can choose from the F/A-18, EA-6B or the AV-8B. Helo studs can choose from the CH-53, UH-1 and AH-1 (the last CH-46 student finished up training earlier this month). MV-22 and KC-130 students will obviously already have a big clue as to what they'll be flying.

FRS - Fleet Replacement Squadron
    This is the first time a student, now a recognized Naval Aviator, will get to fly a fleet model aircraft. They will learn its ins and outs, every nuance to its capabilities and solo in the aircraft before the heat turns up. Students begin to push the aircraft to its limits as they are now learning how to employ it as a weapon. The end of FRS is when the student learns the fleet squadron and model of their airframe - F/A-18D vice F/A-18C, Harriers West vs Harriers East, etc. These are all minor differences and can be requested.

Officers also pick up a ground billet at the FRS - a job that BGW mentioned. These jobs can range from powerline officer (in charge of the engine shop) to legal officer. It varies greatly and the turnover rate can be a year or just a few months. Be prepared to dedicate much of your time to your ground job.

I hope all this helps! Since I did not talk about OCS much, if you have any very specific questions about it, please feel free to ask. I will answer any other questions to the best of my ability or find someone else who can.

S/F

Quote Originally Posted by the802 View Post
    Well, to start, I've always been interested in flying, especially helicopters. I enlisted as an 03 so I could go to Afghanistan before the war was over... Well, now the war is over, and I want to go back to my original plan... Flying. I'm looking for information on becoming an officer, either through MECEP, or just getting out to go to college, as well as info on becoming a pilot (i.e. do you get to choose fix wing vs rotary wing, do you get to choose specific birds ect..ect..). Any and all info either posted here or sent in a private message is much appreciated.
    You need to be a Sergeant minimum to get into MECEP. Another alternative is to EAS from the Marine Corps, and earn a spot at the Naval Academy.

Otherwise you can also explore a NROTC scholarship at a traditional university as well.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LT
    Please fill out your profile completely before posting.
    Site rules.

Thread Information